Advice on Visiting Cat for Pet-Free Home

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Advice on Visiting Cat for Pet-Free Home

Hi All, I have always had a pet-free home and that is how my listing is indicated.

My mom is coming to stay for a little over 2 weeks at the beginning of November and she would really like to bring her cat with her. (She stays in my guest room where Airbnb guests normally stay.)  I have read up some on cat dander but I am just not sure what would be expected from a long term live in cat vs. a 2 weeks visit cat.

I would like to accommodate my mom's request and could do things like use separate linens for her and where the cat would sleep with her and ensure a very thorough cleaning after she leaves, but I also don't want to do anything that would seriously compromise my Airbnb business. Just to clarify, I am a little worried about guests who may come after she leaves.

Any thoughts or experiences on  temporary animals and pet status on your listing?

Thanks

10 Replies 10
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"My mom is better suited to my sister's house."

Sorry, @Valerie192 , I don't have a real answer. Just picturing your review of her 🙂

haha @Lawrene0 love the joke! 🙂 I wish....my sister has 3 young kids, a cat and a dog! My mom has mental health issues so a low stress household is the only thing that works for her.

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Valerie192- I have cats in my house and although I don't allow pets in my airbnb cabin, I am quite certain that I have carried cat dander in on my clothing from time to time.  I thoroughly clean my cabin and have not had any guests ever complain about allergies.  I think if you do exactly what you are planning to do, all will be fine.  Just clean as thoroughly as possible afterwards.  Trust me when I say that years from now you will look back and be glad you allowed your Mom and cat to stay with you. 

That is where I am leaning at this point. Thank you for the perspective!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I’m allergic to cats. And it is very hard to get rid of the allergen. I think you would need to really deep-clean any rooms the cat had occupied, including any upholstered furniture.

Hi @Lisa723 yes I have a friend who also has a terrible allergy and she said everything would need to be steam cleaned. 
Per @Sarah977 's recommendation I think I would put a temporary cover over the couch and then get a professional steamer cleaning to go over the curtains, rugs, etc. The good news is i don't have carpet but I do have a few area rugs that would need to be treated.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Valerie192  No personal experience, but I'd suggest covering any upholstered furniture with some washable covers, even if it's just some sheets, get an air purifier, you or your mom vacuum thoroughly on a regular basis, and then do a thorough deep cleaning on the room before having any guests. That's assuming the cat stays in her room, otherwise you'd have to do this anywhere the cat hangs out.

And if you have central heating, it might be a good time to get your ductwork cleaned. That might sound like overkill, but probably not for severe allergy sufferers.

Or you could change your listing desciption for awhile to say that there has been a cat on the premises, so that if a guest has cat allergies, not to book.

Thanks Sarah - those are excellent practical suggestions. Good news is I don't have any central heating or air either. Appreciate you all weighing in!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Valerie192   You really can’t be 100% certain of what comes in/out of that room from any of your guests. Cover what you can. Take out the rugs. Vacuum Vacuum Vacuum. Take the opportunity to enjoy your mom & then expense a very thorough cleaning after she goes. (Every space needs that now & again!!)

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Valerie192   Allergies can be light or severe and those with severe allergies are likely to feel the presence of a cat, even with your cleaning.  However, if your mother did not bring the cat, she still would bring cat dander with her.  If you believe it is important for your mother to bring her pet and you want to have her visit, do it.  Mothers trump guests in my opinion.  

Then after you do all the cleaning, stay in communication with guests following her visits about the temporary presence of the cat and ask those guests if it is a problem.