Do I have to pay taxes in the US for the income I am earning in the Dominican Republic?

Jose8453
Level 1
Dominicus, Dominican Republic

Do I have to pay taxes in the US for the income I am earning in the Dominican Republic?

I opened my account in the United States, but since then, I have moved to the Dominican Republic and started managing a property I own, as well as properties owned by others in the same complex. We now manage a total of five units. I'm not sure about the tax situation. I have submitted the tax information to Airbnb. Do I have to pay taxes in the US for the income I am earning in the Dominican Republic?

Please advised.

Thanks! 

[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jose8453 If you are a US citizen you pay tax in the Dominican Republic. Then you pay tax in the USA but if there is a dual tax treaty between the two you can effectively reduce your US tax liability by the amount of tax paid in the Dominican Republic.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would speak to your accountant about the best way to file @Jose8453 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Jose8453 👋

It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution to your question? 

It'd be great to hear from you, so we can understand what the resolution was but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines