NEVER host your private house on Airbnb as AIRCOVER is not helpful or reimburses for the damages

NEVER host your private house on Airbnb as AIRCOVER is not helpful or reimburses for the damages

We hosted our beautiful family home on Airbnb for 7 weeks with various guests whilst on holidays. We had a super host and things went really well until.......the last guests who stayed in our house over the NRL long weekend. They said they were a family over 9 and were looking to enjoy the beach location. They stayed for 4 nights and caused $15k worth of damages.

The pool was green, the trampoline netting torn, the leather couch with chewing gum which wouldn't come out, two leather dining chairs ripped, kitchen bar stools scratched, paint scratched off walls, stainless steel fridge dented and scratched, kitchen bench dented, pendant lights in main bedroom dented, timber bed head dented, carpet dirty and needed to be dry cleaned, the spare couch stained, kid's doona stained with yellow fluid, my son's spider man light missing and doona cover stained.

I made a submission to Aircover in October and I'm still disputing their response. I provided detailed invoices and photos and they have continuously missed items and ignored my emails. I asked for my case to be escalated and it was escalated to a Resolution manager who keeps ignoring my emails. 

I also asked for the guests to be removed from the Airbnb platform but this wasn't actioned.

I will never host a property through this platform again. I will also never rent through them.

They are very inexperienced and unprofessional.

2 Replies 2
Carlos-M0
Level 2
Buffalo, NY

I am so sorry this happened to you. Please update us one available with outcome on this company.   Also, as a AirBnB host, I am praying and hoping for the best outcome for you

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Angie841 

This happens to all hosts at some point. It's just part of this business.

But as you'll frequently find here, experienced hosts know that Aircover is not a guarantee or insurance, and for most practical purposes, does not fully cover hosts (if at all) and is not a reliable form of protection against guests like these. 

But it's wise to consider that no other platform offers any reliable protection either. It's an illusion. 

Very sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but you're operating a business. You need insurance. You'll need to get some. This is completely normal, regardless of which platforms you list with. 

Lastly, the best cure is always prevention. Check the profile  and history (or lack of any) of who's booking. Ask questions. Scare them away if they appear questionable in any way. It's far more effective than relying on some illusory coverage.

Good luck. Again, very sorry this happened to you.