Low Season strategy

Answered!
Karlis3
Level 3
Grüt, Switzerland

Low Season strategy

Hi,
Do you use any particular strategy when entering Low-Season?
Maybe you know a way how to attract long-term bookings?

I will be grateful for any feedback on this. 😉

Thanks,
Karlis

1 Best Answer
Steve3639
Level 2
Wilton Manors, FL

”Any revenue is better than no income.” 

Carefully monitor your comprtition and try to stay a little above their rates.  Don't race them to the bottom

Monitor rates constantly.  Price each day based on your slowest check-in dates to your busiest.  Do promotions constantly.

Discount weekly and monthly stays. Never say No to a guest.

Always suggest an alternative. 

Update your pictures.  Run your verbiage through AI, but edit it so it doesn't read like it was run through AI.

Allow one night stays during the week.  ( if you have a cleaning fee) Consider reducing the fee for 1 or 2 nights. It will also help keep your housekeeper busy) and happy.

A one-nighter sometimes becomes a repeat guest and extends their stay. Repeat customers usually are not as price conscious.  .Accept reservations up till 10:00PM. With a smart door lock interfaced with AirBnB’s  platform, and using automated messaging a guest can book, get a door code, and 

check out before you even realize you had a guest.
Price weekends higher. With 2 day minimums. 
Please understand none of my suggestions might work for your property. Each AirBnB is different.
Please share any other suggestions. Good or bad I want to hear them.
Last but not least.  I was taught that if you never had a rental go bad, then you have turned down good business.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

Nice and practical tip! Thanks 😊👍

Kay1521
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I am experimenting with a sales discount that seems to help fill in during this slow season.  I already have discounts for week long and month long stays.  I also monitor what others with similar spaces are charging and keep mine just a little bit below that.  I am considering just lowering my regular rate rather then running the sale.

Thanks, Kay, for your advice! 😊👍

Kimberley94
Level 2
Denver, CO

I don’t….I just set ‘Smart Pricing’and let it run its self…..it tried for awhile, long booking are nice, but, this is my main job all I have to do…So the short term aren’t too bad for me.  I don’t mind the length of term….for right now any way… pretty new to having 2 properties going….not any sort of text nerd….smart pricing set it and, forget it🙂

Mark4999
Level 2
Houston, TX

What we do for low season is pay attention to our market area research and price change slightly below the average nightly rate. We also accept more 1 night/last minute bookings (weekdays only) slightly above the local hotel nightly rates. We also use Pricelabs software and adjust according to the local area activities.

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

We have switched to a seasonal model and include the following for strategy:

- full / partial closures;

- 3 night minimum booking;

- discount promotion offers vs set weekly, weekend or monthly discount models;

- live in hosting vs employee hosting models;

- free use / access (not advertised) laundry offered to guests who do arrive;

-absolutely no same day booking acceptance;

-absolutely no walk-ins or check-ins without scheduled appointments;

Good luck, we have adopted the above strategys for long term growth and long term sustainable profit development.  This comes from the bad and losses suffered from experience doing the opposite of the above strategys. 

Serge854
Level 1
Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico

Hi, 

We operate 25 units in Puerto Rico and we had some low season  but we managed to eliminate it. 

I think the trick is to sell an experience, not just a place to stay. If that makes sense.