El Cajon Tax Requirements

John6611
Level 1
El Cajon, CA

El Cajon Tax Requirements

Hello:

My wife and I just started hosting and need to know whether we need to sign up to pay any local taxes for our Airbnb. It's a room within our house -- not an ADU. I called El Cajon a few months back and they said ADU listings need to pay the tax but they weren't very clear. Does anyone in El Cajon pay this tax for renting out a room in their house -- is it required? What are the rules. I thought I'd ask the Airbnb community first, because I suspect the City of El Cajon will tell me to pay the tax even if it isn't legally required.  

Thanks in advance, 

John A

4 Replies 4

@John6611 

This should have been made clear to you when you applied for your city  business license. Suggest you go back, in person, and get this properly cleared up. 

Thanks for your response. The City of El Cajon and my tax person said I did not need a business license to have an Airbnb. If I do need  a license I will be glad to file for one. There must be a host out there who knows the answer to my question. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @John6611, as our community is a global forum, it might take some time for fellow hosts in your area to come across your post. It could be a good idea to join the closest 🖱Local Host Club to your location to share insights with fellow local Hosts.

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Thanks. I will do that.