Baltimore County, Maryland Short Term Rental Regulations

Sue2009
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

Baltimore County, Maryland Short Term Rental Regulations

Hi All,

I would appreciate insight from fellow Baltimore County (not City), MD Airbnb hosts on the process you followed to legally Airbnb.  

I've contacted the Baltimore County rental licensing office, the Maryland State Lead Certification/Registration Office, the county's zoning office, AND an attorney. I'm receiving conflicting information and have not received clear instructions. 

The rental licensing office said that I have to register my property the same way as I would for a long-term rental (rental inspection + lead inspection as my home was built before '78). I did both the rental and lead inspection, then contacted the lead certification office to be told that since I'm doing short term renting, they actually don't require that I register my home with them, which contradicts the rental licensing office. 

I reached out to an attorney seeking better guidance and was told that he wasn't aware of formal regulations the county has for STRs and suggested I reached out to zoning for whatever informal process there may be. Zoning redirected me back to the licensing office. 

It's frustrating how I can't seem to be given a clear answer to a should be straightforward question. Please share if you've received better/more clear guidance on the process!

Thanks very much.

2 Replies 2
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Sue2009 

Did you look to see see if your area had a local hits club that could help you with your issue.
https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Discussions-locales/ct-p/en_clubs

Good luck in your research

Annie
Doug1213
Level 1
Balt, MD

@Sue2009 @Annie1372 I am looking into the same issue now...were you able to get any final guidance?  Thanks