Problem with host .. I'm now really annoyed

Nishad0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Problem with host .. I'm now really annoyed

So I have been hosting for few years now. I've also been a guest. I've never had issues until now. 

My guest is quite dirty, complains about everything, went in to my food cabinet and took snacks and food then told me after that she took it and will pay afterwards (she did) but that's wrong! On top of that she walks around the house with her shoes which I told her in the beginning not to and she still does -- got tired of telling her.  I’ve been really nice about everything. Even went to the extent as to invite her for drinks and brought popcorn today because she was complaining of not having snacks because her money was not in.  She asked me to pick up stuff for her when I go to the grocery store next and I did just like I did for my other guests and she paid me for most. But really! 

She needed a dvd player and mine was not working so she started going on to my laptop! OMG!! I told her that was not acceptable. 

The washroom is always a mess. She doesn’t clean up after herself. Lately she leaves dishes in the sink and when she does clean her dish it has food still stuck to it. Food and garbage left in the fridge and freezer.

First few weeks she brought pork into the condo! THAT WAS A BIG NO NO. She didn't read the rules and I told her that. But it happened again! I bought paper plates and foil so she could still cook it without using my stuff for the pork. Not sure what she did with it.

I had a death in the family so instead of calling airbnb I thought to just let her stay while I was doing my thing she would do her thing. And no appreciation! 

Today she accused me of taking her beer which was supposedly in the fridge. I HATE BEER! AND WHY WOULD I TAKE IT??

My friend came up to fix electricity in my room which i had none. its almost 1am and i apologized to my guest profusely but she got really upset and asking when is this person leaving.  I HAVE NO LIGHT IN MY ROOM! I think she took pics of my friend fixing the light switch too.

She leaves in a months time but I now want her out. What do I do? I've never had this much trouble with a guest!

13 Replies 13

Hire a hitman...

Just kidding 😉

If you feel really uncomfortable then throw her out of your property.

The money is NOT worth your nerves.

Tell airbnb all this. Put it in writing to her re their system. Tell airbnb you think she is unsuited to you and will they rehome her.

Tell it factually 

1. Breaking house rules (shoes and bringing pork into the house and dirty dishes)

2. Accusing you of stealing her beer

3. objecting to you having a workman fixing electricity (what was she doing in your room taking pictures. Why did it matter to her if someone was in your room

4. Boundary issues, using your laptop and your food. 

I'm afraid to do anything. She has written horrible reviews to others and accused her of not being a good host. I'm unsure how she will react as she still lives here.

How do I go about complaining? Will my guest know that I have told airbnb? She does a lot on the Internet so she might create problems where stay on the internet.

@Nishad0  This one will write a horrible review whatever you do.  Sorry to say, but she seems a bit deranged. Lesson learnt:  Do not accept anyone that leave horrible reviews all the time - that is a red flag !

See top post on how to contact airbnb.

Honestly this comment was not there when I accepted her. But now I just want her out

She is going to write a horrible review no matter what you end up doing.

It is her nature.

She will not be any different to you.

Tell us her name, so we do not rent to her.

How do I go about complaining
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Thanks.  I'll call them.

Marguerite3
Level 1
Bellevue, Grenada

Just ask her to leave nicely, and tell her why. It's best to **bleep** it in the bud as soon as you have annoying guests that can drive you insane.  Don't let them extend, chuck them out as soon as their first booking ends

I understand what you are going thru.  I have a similar problem right now with a guest.  He loves my place and wants to stay for 2.5 months.I even threw in a free studio where he could paint.  I asked him to book with airbnb, but he's made no effort to do so. He is due to check out on Monday morning, so I told him that he will have to find another place from then on. He's annoyed, and thinks I have inconvenienced him.

He helps himself to my food. Does not order dinner so that when I am eating I feel obliged to feed him. I ask him each day if he wants to book dinner.  All the information is in the guest pack in each room.  I went thru it with him so as to avoid mis-understanding. He says he had a grant to come to Grenada to do some art work, and a hundred inconsistent stores, boasts about his 2 boats, big house and money he makes from art, but at 30$ a day he wants me to sit with him all day. He interrupts conversations, gets drunk, noisy, plays his music loud, constantly giving advice where he was not asked and does not understand.  I have young ladies who have booked months in advance. He won't fit in and I also have to consider other guests. I have put up with him for the duration of his booking and now he must leave. 

I am completely baffled as to why all of you tolerate these rules being broken and allowing them to stay?  Call Airbnb, report the problems via an email too. Take photos, document the rules being broken with videos and CANCEL THE REST OF THEIR STAY!  They can't leave a review if the booking is cancelled BY Airbnb based on rules violated and being consistently broken.  Treat your home the way you want it to be treated. Don't make money your priority or you will be miserable.  Its not worth it having these ridiculous people in your home making you miserable.  Please explain to me why @Nishad0 continues to put up with this nonsense.  THIS IS YOUR HOME....this is not a hotel.  I want to know why its ok for you to allow her to disrespect you over and over.  Its not. 

Now I know why guests come into my home and do this because they have been led to believe its ok to be tolerated in other hosts homes....ITS NOT.  

Please do all of us a favor and let us know who are these guests.  I DO NOT want to go through this  again in my home because hosts are not kicking them out.  Show them who is the boss. I have made videos and photos of any previous guests who has broken my rules, damaged my home, my belongings, stole my beer, and contacted Airbnb to report it and kicked them out of my house. I hope you are not offended by this post, but I just want to shake all of you into understanding how this affects other hosts.  IT DOES.

True Story:  When I found 3 empty beer cans in my trash (we recyle them). I knew my husband and I had not drank them, I confronted my guests about this.  He said my husband offered it. I immediately called my husband on the phone in front of the guests and asked him via speakerphone.  My husband told me he said the guest could have ONE!  I asked the guest to tell my husband how many he drank.  The guest had no way out of this and told my husband that he drank all 3.  Therefore, I attempted to call the police and report that my guests stole from me.  Do you think the guest aplogized to me?  No  he didn't but I can assure you I called Airbnb to report this.  They were leaving the next day so there was no point in kicking them out.  And do you think he paid for the other 2 extra beers he drank, NO!!  I made a police report because I discovered that HE also stole a bag of Hawaiian coffee that was in my fridge, but sadly Airbnb can't replace the cost of STOLEN beers and coffee.  The coffee was stolen between 6am and 6:15am when I woke up to find my guests had left our home without so much of a word, an apology or money for the beeer.  This is why I installed cameras in my kitchen (where guests are no longer allowed, cameras in my OUTSIDE garage where the 2nd fridge they can use, so I have video proof of them taking things that don't belong to them.  How sad that we have to do this to protect ourselves. I can assure you that if I catch anyone stealing FROM ME or MY FAMILY, I will not hesitate to contact the police to charge them with theft.   And you should do the same.  Stealing is serious....whether they steal from a store or your house.   Stealing is a CRIME no matter where they take it from.   Now kick that stupid guest out, but call Airbnb first.   Good Luck.  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Exactly.....make sure you document everything he has done.  And you need to send that to Airbnb so they can notate his profile that he was asked to leave..and do just that...ask him to leave, or ask Airbnb to cancel the booking  OR either go into the reservation by altering the booking to end early or contact Airbnb.  The Airbnb service reps who handle the guests trips have been so great in helping me though a few disaster situations with only 2-3 guests who were BEYOND rude, breaking rules, damaging my property and even verbally attacking with vulgar language. I recorded it too.  Please decide on how you want your guests to behave..I can promise you that I do.  And we currently have the most beautiful sisters from Sweden who are staying here 7 nights who have not broken one rule.  They even printed it out to make sure they were behaving as expected.   I am so proud to be hosting them and look forward to each day they are here.  Its been a wonderful experience so far....they were raised very well and I was given an opportunity to tell their mum via Skype that as well as thank her for doing such an amazing job raising 2 respectful kind and well mannered 29 & 27 year old girls.  Wish you had the same.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

It is getting like this. I am thinking of delisting...it no longer seems worth it. I think now that AirBnB is mainstream, we get way too many rude guests, and if you look in other posts, you will find that guests EXPECT to be able to do what they want in our homes.

I think it is time now for AirBnB to release a Guest Code of Conduct, instead of rewarding them (giving their money back) if anything goes wrong.