Listing rank dropped from 1 to 123 (last)

Answered!

Listing rank dropped from 1 to 123 (last)

Hello,

My home, always appeared on the 1st page since I created the listing a year ago and for most of the time, it was ranked #1 in "Panchgani, India". A week ago, the rank suddenly changed and since then it is appearing on the last page (#123).

I have:

1. The 2nd highest number of reviews in Panchgani
  2. A decent 4 star rating
  3. Instant Booking On
  4. Photos, Calendar, other details updated
  5. 100% commitment rate
  6. 90% response time
  7. Reasonable pricing

Inspite of all these factors, other listing with no reviews, incomplete information, expensive, poor location, non-responsive are placed ahead of me. (Basically, all listings in Panchgani are now ahead of me.)

I spoke to Airbnb and they informed me that rankings are based on a complex system so they cannot do anything about it. Although they offered to cover one time cleaning expenses for my home as I have 4 stars for Cleanliness and 4.5 for the rest of the factors.

However, I'm not convinced that Cleanliness could be the reason for this drop. Even earlier when I was ranked #1, I only had 4 stars for cleanlisness and not more.

Has anyone faced a similar situation?

My daily views have gone from 4-6 to 0.

Any help would be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks,

Jeet

1 Best Answer
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Jeet0, there are two factors, at least:

airbnb promotes new hosts.  they are ranked in front for a month, when there are a lot of new listings, that could falsify your ranking. After the month, they are in the same game as everyone else.

the new search function shows only 300 results, which would not bother you, theoretically, in a region with only 123 hosts. But, it tries to take into consideration more factors to match guests with hosts. 

See that link to the help center: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/how-are-search-results-determined

That's the theory. Since October a lot of hosts have complained about periods with no bookings and the listing not showing. 

Keep checking that help page (you get it by typing "search rank" in the help center). I think it changes from time to time.

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Jeet0, there are two factors, at least:

airbnb promotes new hosts.  they are ranked in front for a month, when there are a lot of new listings, that could falsify your ranking. After the month, they are in the same game as everyone else.

the new search function shows only 300 results, which would not bother you, theoretically, in a region with only 123 hosts. But, it tries to take into consideration more factors to match guests with hosts. 

See that link to the help center: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/how-are-search-results-determined

That's the theory. Since October a lot of hosts have complained about periods with no bookings and the listing not showing. 

Keep checking that help page (you get it by typing "search rank" in the help center). I think it changes from time to time.

@Helga0 Thank you for a great answer. It helped me get clarity

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jeet0 I've seen many Super Hosts far back in search results, surprisingly.  @Helga0, who is a host I really respect, is right.  Airbnb gives newbies a bump so they can get some reservations.  After that, everyone is swimming in the same pool.  The link that Helga gave you is very helpful in tweaking your listing to improve search results.  Make sure all your amenities are checked in your listing description. Good Luck!

Thank you @Clare0. I'm currently at my third period with no bookings for the cheaper listing, although the price for the room is low and doing a search, I show up on the first page if you set a low price. It even says "only a few percent of the listings remaining, book quickly", still no bites. 

Greetings from India @Helga0 & @Clare0 ! Thank you very much for guiding me 🙂

I re-edited my listing and made sure all the right amenities were checked, prices were competetive, instant booking enabled and calender up-to-date.

I feel it's not very fair on Airbnb's part to boost new players at the cost of the top ones by pushing them to the last position; 5-6 positions down would be understandable, that's what most sites like Kickstarter.com, fiverr.com do. But for someone who's worked hard throughout the year and ensured that his guests had a fabulous experience, I am quite demotivated that now my rank implies that mine is the least recommended home 😞

I couldn't find any article that stated that new listings are given a starting push. If you are aware of any such article, could you please share it with me? Also, wanted to re-confirm that this boost is for a month's period, does that mean that after a month, I will regain my old rank or atleast see a significant improvement?

Thank you once again 🙂

Hi @Jeet0 here's the article on how search results are calculated.  Don't worry, I've seen many Super Hosts pushed back in line and I'm sure they're not happy either.  

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/39/how-are-search-results-determined

Although a very late reply, but wanted to update.

After I spoke to Airbnb about it, they couldn't resolve it and reiterated that the ranking is automated.

After a couple of weeks, my listing was back on page one and I started receiving bookings. I'm just hoping this does not happen again.

Hello folks.

I have just had a smilar problem. My listing has dropped from top of first page to seond page despite Superhost status & no change in 4 1/2 stars. How does one "talk to Airbnb" about this?

Greatful for help.

Deborah.

@Deborah-and-Tony0 I wouldn't worry to much about it especially if you are just looking a the search function without any filters, which many hosts do.  Guests don't look for accommodations that way.  The use filters such as property type, Super Host status, price, amenities, number of guests etc.  They look for accommodations that suits their needs. 

Also, keep in mind that Airbnb gives new listings a temporary bump in the listing search in order to get them started.  I've seen plenty of Super Hosts at the back of the pack in searches without filters.  That said, there are some things you can do to improve your search status as outlined here:

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/39/how-are-search-results-determined

Looks like you are doing rather well!  Congratulations on your Super Host status!

Thank you for responding Clare

I did put in some filters when I looked and some of the listings that are above mine are quite old ones - they have been there since I started just over a year ago.

My bookings have slowed down and it's not for lack of great reviews, lower star ratings or a slip in my standards. I treat this very much as a business and work hard to keep my business performing well. I can only assume it is beacuse my listing is not as prominent as before.

I have another question which you might help me with: I have tried to edit the short description (ie: first box after the Title); it says I have 0 characters left but whenever I take out a letter that doesn't change. It will not allow me to take out a word & put in a different one. Do you have any suggestions on this?

Kindest regards

Deborah

@Deborah-and-Tony0 Well if your current number of characters don't fit, then I would start from scratch.  My short listing description is 2 sentences.  Short and hopefully sweet!

Thank you again Clare.

BTW, I edited some info & my listing has risen in ranking - perhaps that's yje solution.

Cheers

Deborah

Hi Deborah, are you listed on stayz? 

@Deborah-and-Tony0, if you have a computer and a phone, try to edit the short description on the other one - sometimes there is a bug on the phone app and sometimes on the normal website. If that does not help, try another browser or clear the cache (you will loose the history by that). 

I had that bug already. If you can edit it on the other computer/phone, it should then work also on the normally used one. 

Although, I have a persistant bug in the houserules, that I can edit only per phone.