Guest cancellation

Kathy34
Level 2
Louisville, CO

Guest cancellation

I had a guest cancel via email on the expected arrival date due to extreme weather conditions in our area (not even sure they could have landed at our airport; may have been closed). In her email, she said she'd like to reschedule for next month. At first, I thought we'd just apply the same payment to her new dates but realized that she/I won't be able to leave feedback. Plus, it feels more honest to refund her $$ now and just create a new reservation when she's ready.

Question is...I can't figure out how to issue the refund now that the dates of her stay have passed. Can someone walk me through how this works? Thanks.

8 Replies 8
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Kathy34,

The guest cannot cancel using email as she would actually need to cancel via the Airbnb website or app.  DO NOT cancel this yourself as you will be penalized.  I also do not think this would fall under extenuating circumstances and this is something that maybe trip cancellation insurance or travel insurance would cover.  Anyway, has her dates already expired?  If not, you can try to make an alteration to the new dates but I am not sure if this will work if the trip has already started.  

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Change-Price-Number-of-Guests-Check-in-or-Check-out-...

In any event, you can refund the guest using the resolution center: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0

Dave and deb, I am new to this forum and am so thankful that you have great information to share. What a wonderful  community. 

I have a long term guest (64 days) march26-may 29 , departing today. When she decided to shorten her stay, I called airBNB for help. I directed the guest to airBNB to do the alteration. The guest realized her 30 day requirement notice, under long term stay and instead shifted and starting making complaints about my listing. 

until this happened she had been a perfect guest. 

I spent hours trying to salvage the relationship with the help of airBNB. She spent hours building a case. 

I had originally immediately offered to do a financial refund for days she had to pay if I were able to book enough room nights within her total reservation.  I know this is optional for me to do, but , if I can earn the money back, I wanted to help the guest. 

I am concerned about airBNB determination and any possible circumstances. 

I have read about host canceling before the stay, and understand those guidelines. 

If you if you hv any resources or guidance, I appreciate it. 

Mary Ellen 

Hi @MaryEllen2,

I would stick to your guns on the long term cancellation policy especially if this guest is getting nasty with you.  You are under no obligation to refund this guest any money and she entered into a contract with you which both of you should live by.  I have a friend who is a host who just recently went through this identical situation.  I will try to get her to respond to this situation as she is one of the most experienced person I know to answer this.  I know she is at a special Airbnb event today so might not respond today.  

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

If she is amenable, mb we can do a phone call. Ty for quick response and info
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

HI
I am the friend David refers to--- I am actually at Airbnb headquarters in San Francisco right now for a special event with a new product launch--

I don't have time to answer elaborately right now but will just say that in general I advocate hosts know their own limits and boundaries and do not compromise more than you are comfortable with.

I am sorry your guest is responding in this way, a way that appears to be dishonest, but this can happen when guests get upset about not getting a refund.

It helps to do as you have which is to offer a refund in proportion to the dates you are able to rebook.

I have seen a few cases where guests under long term policy had to cancel and they demanded a refund but Airbnb did not insist host refund them. As you indicate a refund is optional on your part.

I would suggest just avoiding interacting with her and disengage, don't be pulled into arguments. Just decide your policy and leave it at that.

I have a difference scenario but a similar issue with dishonesty. Guest said their "apartment is ready earlier and they are leaving early", and cancelled a 20 day reservation after 5 days passed, and still enjoyed the discounted price, and still stayed here for the 6th night......I want to open a resolution claim against  her, but my review is still at her stake, and I fear retaliation very much. A host has to wait 14 days for review time to pass, but only has 2 days to report a problematic renter, that s not very helpful......

Yorck-Percy0
Level 1
Hamburg, Germany

I have a similar situation. I received a booking request which I accepted. Upon my acceptance the user started to ask questions and finally decided to cancel. I told her to cancel the booking through Airbnb. She told me she canceled but all I got was a message from Airbnb letting me know that the booking (which I had already accepted) was declined because airbnb did not receive payment from the user.

How was it possible to book my apt in the first place?

What are cancellation policys good for, if the cannot be applied?

Any comments on this are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!

Jennifer212
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

I have a guest who has emailed me to cancel her reservation due to the health of a traveling companion preventing her from traveling.  I advised her that she needs to cancel this reservation herself if she wants her full refund (we have a moderate cancellation policy).  It's been almost 24 hours and she still hasn't cancelled.  I wrote her again asking her to please cancel this as I cannot do this for her as I will encur a financial penalty, and she wrote back saying she'd contact airbnb to cancel.  I again wrote back telling her that she does this herself through her reservation bookings and sent her the instructions to do this.  I even offered to call her to walk her through the process.  She still has not canceled and it's been a few hours.  I'm not sure what to do.  While I sympathize with her about situation, I would like the dates available so they're available for other potential guests and I don't want to be charged a fee to cancel on her behalf.  Her cutoff time for her refund is noon tomorrow as she was due to check in on Sept 6.  I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone experienced this before?  We are new to Airbnb but our room rental is very popular and we are booked almost every night.

Thanks!