Booking a trip for his daughter...

Booking a trip for his daughter...

Hello there Airbnb!

We just recieved a booking inquiry for June. It is a gentleman from NYC wanting to book our condo in Costa Rica for his daughter and her friends. Here is the jist of his inquiry:

"I am looking for a birthday/graduation gift for my daugther and her friends. She mentioned Costa Rica and I think that it will be the perfect fit for them. However, I am not sure if it's a problem for you if I rent this place out for them if I am not on the trip with them. Five of them will be 18 yrs old when they reach Costa Rica...."

Should we have concern with this being a scam, liability with this situation, damage, etc? We would love to hear your thoughts on the situation... it's the first time we have run into it.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

2 Replies 2
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Danny--Matt--And-Clint0

Airbnb does not allow third party bookings.  The person doing the booking must be one of those who will actually stay at your place.  Since this gentleman doesn't intend to be traveling with his daughter, he is not permitted to do the booking.  He could have her sign up and get an account and do the booking.  If he wants this to be a "surprise present" , that will not work.  Also, think to yourself about how well it is likely to work if you have a group of teenagers stay at your place,  who did not choose your place and may not like it, who didn't read your house rules in advance and agree to follow them, and, perhaps most importantly, whom you never even communicated with.  

The father says that five of these young people will be 18....how many are there and will the rest be under 18?  Do you really want to rent to a group of teenagers whom you have never communicated with, some of whom may be minors?   In so many ways this sounds like a situation to avoid.  

Or, as some of the regular member hosts on the old groups would say, "A group of teenagers on a birthday party trip,   3000 miles away from home in a foreign country in Latin America, staying in the rented condo of someone they have never met and never communicated with...what could possibly go wrong???!" 

Hi Deborah,

Thank you very much for the reply.  After a little more research and thought, we came up with the same conclusion.  Looking at it know it's pretty cut and dry.  It's great to have the confirmation of someone with more experience than us.

Thanks again for the insight!

Matt