Anyone get de listed yesterday.

Hassan-And-Hussein0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Anyone get de listed yesterday.

Hi There,

Did anyone get unlisted Yesterday ?

Some of my flats got delisted last night without any explanation from Airbnb and i have got an email today saying this

Dear Hassan And Hussein ,

We have received your message regarding your account. Our mission is to allow Airbnb guests to connect with hosts who provide local and authentic experiences that make the city a better place to live, work and visit. We routinely carry out initiatives for quality purposes and adherence to this mission. The outcome cannot be changed.

Regards,

Airbnb Team

I Have seen that a lot of hosts in london was getting emails last 2 weeks about being delisted but i can see that no one actually got delisted.

Anyone knows what's going on ?

Thanks Hassan

53 Replies 53
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Hassan-And-Hussein0.....Hey Guys, it looks like a line has been drawn in the sand, and hosts with multiple listings are systematically having their listings removed. The original Airbnb concept was to have people stay in a hosts 'shared space'....a spare room, a loft in the house, a cottage in the back yard! But over the years we are seeing more and more hosts in a situation where they are listing more and ever more properties and are virtually using Airbnb as a hotel booking site! 

Air bnb are walking a tightrope between hosts such as your self with multiple listings and local government authorities who are coming under ever increasing pressure from the traditional hospitality industry to make you conform to the stringent government requirements they have to.....and Hassan, it looks like local government are winning!

I have not heard of a single host worldwide who has had their solitary single listing threatened in this way. It seems to be a purge purely on hosts with a number of listings.

The unfortunate thing from your point of view is the secrecy leading up to this! Unfortunately nothing has been flagged about what is happening. I know Airbnb are doing a lot of work in the background with local juristictions around the world, but it is disappointing that none of the progress of that work is filtering down to the hosting community.

I am sorry for the situation this is putting you in Hassan....you are no doubt an amazing host, but you are being seen as a boutique hotel rather than a home host and that appears to be where the problem lies!......cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 Hi Robin

Thank you so much for your respond. I tottaly agree with what you said. But i'm just concerned as a lot of multi listings hosts are still live while others with one listings gettings emails that they will get removed which is really confusing ( They are super hosts by the way )

I hope that someone from inside Airbnb Can reachout to expalin everything clearly.

@Hassan-And-Hussein0....Yeah I understand, I am a superhost myself! But I would love to know if any single listing hosts have been affected in this way.......I am very active on the CC, I read virtually every post on this site, and I have not come across this occurence where just one listing is involved. You are absolutely right Hassan, it is terribly confusing and it appears, it has only just started.

For your sake Hassan, and many others, I hope that some way can be found to accommodate you guys and still work within the framework of Airbnb....because you are the experience, the base that has made Airbnb such a big platform. Many of the hosts who come to the CC....and to hosting have do idea of what they are doing, and as another long time superhost said..."They are trashing the brand" !

Good luck Hassan, I will follow your progress.....cheers....Rob

@Robin4 Thank you so much robin for your support.

I will still use Airbnb for its great features for renting out my spare room at home but for business i will have to start a Plan B from tomorrow.

I'm not sure if anyone with single listing get unlisted but i have read in the community that they are getting warning emails that they will be removed.

I will keep you updated with my progress and thanks again for your supportive replies

Many thanks Hassan

It's happening all over the world, mostly in the big cities where short term rentals are a hot political issue.   If you search the community (use the search function above) you'll see a lot of posts about this, and it's happening in New York, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and London.   In fact just in my little town we've recently been issued with an ordinance outlawing short term rentals, and as a multi-listing host with Airbnb going on six years, this is a subject I follow very closely.    Multilisting hosts are seen by some as anathema to the Airbnb "brand" but the company quite happily takes the $$ that (some say) the 8% of hosts generate, which has rumored to be 40% of the airbnb revenue.

In any case, as Robin says it's a difficult line for Airbnb to straddle - they want to be seen as complying with the law, and the only way to show that is to evidence that they are shutting down multi-listing hosts that they deem are "not providing authentic experiences".    In some weird way they may be doing you a benefit, as they can't provide Big Brother info on you if you're no longer part of the system...  so maybe they are cutting bait rather then be compelled to share your data.  Who knows?

Hi Hassan,

Same experience here, i received an email in January giving notice for delisting of one of the 2 flats i rent, one is my private residence, and i immediately contacted airbnb customer service. They told me it was a scam and even put it in writing. Early February not one but both flats have been delisted with no reason, I am short of becoming a superhost and have great reviews. As everybody I am still awaiting an answer and i am told by the customer service that the american quality team has already responded by email to various hosts informing them about their specific circumstances. 

I started to look on the internet as this does not sound promising and there are other short rental platforms. Is there anyone who tried any of them in case this situation does not evolve?   

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Hassan-And-Hussein0,

I see nine listings under your account.  How many were delisted?

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hassan-And-Hussein0 What happens to guests who had booked with you?

Hi All,

I have just read through this entire thread. Just an hour ago, I logged into my account to find virtually all of my listings de-listed.

I immeditately contacted airbnb thinking my account was hacked to be told that they have removed nearly all my listings.

I have 400 glowing reviews, all 4 star and above, a response rate of 98%. I personally meet and great majority of guests and I am shocked to find out my listings have been removed and unsure of why.

I am very concerned as I have many guests checking in/out over the next few months, I am unsure of what happens to these bookings? Have they been canclled or not? 

I am further concerned about the amount of time and money I have spent reinvesting into properties to make them incredible, by adding wifi, sky tv, updating tvs, beds, linen and refubishing entire properties etc etc. 

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Regards

Guneet

@Guneet0 Hi Guneet

Well i had 9 listings left and they have all been removed now they only left me with a single unit.

No Explanation no Warnings and they doesn't even reply to the emails and the phone line help is very poor.

Whats really dissapointing is that they promised to look after the multi listing hosts in the last Airbnb Open ???

Hi Hassan,

I genuinely feel very upset. I wasnt given any warning. 14 of my listings are gone and I am left with 3.

Have your future bookins been cancelled? I am unsure what will happen with these.

What do you think you will do with your properties from now on? I will have to list on other websites no. 

Such a shame considering how much time and effort we have spent building ourselves on airbnb to be thrown off.

Guneet

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Guneet0...... Oh Guneet, I do feel sorry for you but, you had to see this coming...You have 17 listings, you are not a home host, you are a boutique hotel operator who has been using the Airbnb platform as a collection agent for your 'business'....that being, the letting of your properties to guests!  Airbnb was not set up for people like you who just accumulated more and more properties...where would it have ended.......when you had 100 properties? and you expect Airbnb to fill those properties for you!!!!

Airbnb  have de-activated your listings because you have contravened the spirit of Airbnb, you have not provided the hosting experience required of an Airbnb host.....Guneet, read my reviews...I am an Airbnb host, I base my solitary listing around the concept that Airbnb was specifically set up for....and that is why my listing will remain and yours will be removed.

This will possibly hit your fairly hard financially Guneet but, you continued to 'push the envelope' and should have ultimately seen this coming!!! Cheers....Rob

I appreciate all of your posts @Robin4 you are always such a breath of calm reflection,  but I don't share your feelings on what Airbnb was set up for.   Airbnb has grown to be a billion dollar industry because multi listings hosts bring in a ton of revenue.   Some have said that 8% of hosts make up more then 40% of the revenue.   I, and other multi listing hosts may provide a boutique hotel like operation, but that doesn't preclude us from offering a unique experience to our guests in the same way that you do in your own home where you are sharing.    Airbnb wants (and needs) the revenue that we bring in but then we're treated like a dirty secret.   There's room and a need for a variety of options for guests.   My particular niche is large private apartments for families traveling together.

I don't have fault with Airbnb shutting down listings that don't conform to the terms and services and standards, but I do wish they'd be upfront about what they are doing and why.   There are in fact lots of other opportunities for hosts like me to take our business elsewhere and that's what a lot of hosts will do, but it is a shame to be pushed out of a system that has been working quite wonderfully for all kinds of hosts -from people with a yurt to an enterpreneur in London with 10 apartments that they've worked hard to prepare and manage.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maria-Lurdes0 Hi there Milu....You are right and it is possibly flippant of me to blanket all hosts who 'Host from afar' as not providing a personal hosting experience. But Maria, I have taken 'hosting' to my heart! I love to cook a nice dinner for my guests, I love to go way beyond what would be expected of me as a host! And I guess this is in part because I have been so fortunate to have had such a wonderful lot of guests, and I do like to think I embody the original Airbnb philosophy. As I have said before in other posts this has been one of the best parts of my life...not financially, but in terms of satisfaction....I love being a host!!!

For that reason...and you can cane me for this...... but I don't see it possible for host who have multiple listings to provide the service that I provide to guests, particularly hosts who have 5,8,13 listings! It is just not possible. And I think that the good work that I do is undone by hosts who see it as their duty to provide a key on entry, and a number to call if things go wrong.

Airbnb have come to a crossroads! You are right, it is the multiple listing hosts who have made Airbnb successfull because....you are professional, you have done the hard yards! You may lack a bit of the personal approach that I love but, because of your experience you don't 'trash the product' like a lot of newcomers....you are the 'nuts and bolts' of hospitality!!

But Maria, it is because you are so good at what you do that you have taken home hosting to a level that is causing a serious amount of strain on the traditional hospitality industry and Airbnb are caught in the middle....support their hosts and be shut down by officialdom, or suffer the hurt and put on a compliant face. @Maria-Lurdes0, I wish it wasn't this way...I would love to give you a big hug and make it all better...but the roller coaster has left the dock and we can all only go along for the ride....cheers....Rob