What if long time guest doesn't pay?

Daniel33
Level 4
Basel, Switzerland

What if long time guest doesn't pay?

I am thinking to rent my penthouse on a long term basis (3, 6, 12 month...). I read that Airbnb only collects the first month, and then monthly always after approx. 1 month.

Now, what happens if the guest doesn't pay the second (or a later) month? E.g. his credit card isn't valid anymore, or not for the amount?

When leasing an apartment directly (here) it is usual to ask for a two month deposit plus each month in advance at the beginning of the month. So when the guest doesn't pay a coming month there is at least the deposit to cover the costs until he finally leaves.

On Airbnb I see my payments only after some days, of course, and I wonder what happens, when the guest does not pay anymore. I also read that a deposit is only for damages, not for unpaid stays. If it was different, I could simply add a two-month value deposit, but I guess this is useless.

Do I really stand without any money for the time being when a guest does not pay, or is this risk covered somehow, or are there ways to cover it?

20 Replies 20
Enda0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Daniel33,

Interesting one. You are guaranteed 30 days after the first month at any rate even if the guest cancels, so I guess if the guest defaults on payment, it would be for Airbnb to pursue rather than you.

From the Terms: "If Airbnb Payments is unable to collect any amounts you owe for a confirmed booking or a Damage Claim, Airbnb Payments may engage in collection efforts to recover such amounts from you"

Not sure if that's of any help!

E

Hi @Enda0

thanks for the reply!

Can you point me to the place where I find that I am "guaranteed 30 days after the first month". I have tried to find somthing like that in the terms you linked, but either I am blind or it's in a place I haven't searched 🙂

The paragraph you cited referrs to the guests, and it says, airbnb "may" engage, but not that it actually will....

And, even more important, I can find nothing about the case, if the collection of recurring payments (as in long term leasing) fails....

Anybody has experience with such a case?

That is exactly what is happening to us right now - got an email from AirBnB to this effect concerning the second payout on a longer-term reservation:

The attempt to charge your guest, ---, for the amount due for reservation --- from --- - --- was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent --- an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.
If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can cancel without penalty at any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel, please send us a note.
We appreciate your understanding.
Regards,
The Airbnb Team

We have a reasonably good rapport with the guest, so I am hoping the problem is resolved shortly, but my point is this - as the email says, AirBnB "isn't liable for issuing your host payout." So, in plain English, you are on your own once this happens.

I am dealing with this issue now. What ever happened with this?

Did you get the payment finally ?

I am experiencing this now, guests left the final 10 days unpaid.

Not a big amount but still over $500.   

So hope to hear from you.

We make sure our guests enjoyed the stay.

But Airbnb doesn't make sure we get paid from guests, that is irresponsible to host.

Did you get paid ?

I am dealing with this right now... 

Guest didn't pay the last portion of the 2-1/2 months stay still over $500.

It is unfair if host has to guarantee the listing for guests but Airbnb doesn't guarantee the host get paid so what is the point to introduce portion payment if nothing is guarantee and Airbnb is not responsible, can host request no portion payment in return ?

Thanks

Kitty

Erica211
Level 1
Washington, DC

I am dealing with it now 

Hugo214
Level 2
Antrim, United Kingdom

Hi 

I am dealing with it now. Did anyone managed to get a payment from airbnb?

Thanks,
Hugo

I'm in this situation now...the guests cancelled after 2 months of the six months rental period. Their creditcard gor scammed the say and it is blocked, coincidently 1 day before payment day, and they couldn't change payment method. My guess is the are already home, now i am waiting for a resolve answer from Airbnb...which by the way guaranteed me payments. 

Hi Hans, 

I'm going through the same thing.  Every month is something but this month I'm 20 days in with  no payment and Airbnb won't tell me what I need to do.  The tenant refuses to pay Airbnb and wants to pay me directly.  I'm at the point that I am done with  her and just want her gone.   Did airbnb give you the payment due to you for the days your tenant was there that they didn't pay? 

Debbie

Skylar0
Level 3
New York, NY

I'm dealing with the same issue. I hope Airbnb will do something about this!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Daniel33 

Be cautious of renting long term via on line platform.  I strongly recommend reading this thread.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/If-switching-to-long-term-tenants-educate-yourselves-1st/m-...

Stay safe!

Bradley125
Level 5
กทม, Thailand

Beware of Airbnb's rental collection policy for long term rentals (i.e. anything duration over 1 month).  

They only collect the rent for the 2nd month (and subsequent months) at the end of the first month. If the guest defaults, the first you'll hear about it is an automated message from Airbnb 1-2 days into the '2nd period'. By the time you know that there's an issue, your guest has already stayed 1-2 days rent-free and remains in residence with your calendar blocked for the remainder of the reservation.

This has happened to me twice now. The first time was a technical issue with payment that we were able to resolve but the second time (yesterday), the guest just decided that she wasn't going to pay. 

Airbnb automatically applies their long stay cancellation policy for all stays of more than 30 days. 

The policy seems to protect hosts to the extent that guests have to give 30 days notice to cancel once the stay has started. However, the guest's payment schedule (invisible to hosts) does not support this policy and Airbnb refuses to take liability for collecting the rent due.  They are explicit about this in the message they send to hosts when they can't process payment. Here's the message I received yesterday: 

"The attempt to charge your guest, XXXX, for the amount due for reservation XXXX from 21 April 2020 - 16 June 2020 was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent XXXX an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can contact your guest.

If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. 

If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can cancel penalty-free at any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel, please send us a note."

Airbnb is actively encouraging long term bookings but their rent collection is not fit for purpose and does not match the cancellation policy. When something goes wrong, they inform hosts that Airbnb isn’t liable for paying what’s owed. This leaves hosts extremely vulnerable.

In my case, I have a tenant in residence who's been staying rent-free for 2 days, has blocked my calendar for the coming month and says that they have changed their mind about the 2nd month.

Until Airbnb adopt a rent collection policy for long stays that's fit for purpose, hosts are carrying all the risks for these stays. 

Hosts be warned; Airbnb do not have our back!
Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

Long term rentals should always be one month in advance, paid well before the end of the current month to allow for legitimate card processing problems etc.