Partial refund calculation or How to determine the value of an inconvenience?

Answered!
Kimberly71
Level 3
Haugesund, Norway

Partial refund calculation or How to determine the value of an inconvenience?

I have a lovely family staying at our holiday home in Spain (while I am in Norway).

Our homeowners association is doing exterior painting this year and we have arranged to have our unit painted towards the end of the season and have blocked out the time on our calendar. But things don't always go as planned and the painter showed up on the second day of their stay and pressure hosed the roof while they were eating breakfast on the patio causing great distress.

After a lot of communication with property managers, our association and their administrators and finally the workman the work stopped but not before they had made a mess of all the outdoor spaces and greatly stressed our guest. 

We sent our local housekeepers out to clean up the spaces and we have been assured that the work is now stopped. We would like to compensate our guest somehow but are unsure of how to determine the value of an inconvience / stress element.

The facts are as follows:

1. they had one of nine days with noise and stress on the patio and no access to the roof terrace
  2. the guest took the initiative to clean up the patio herself so they could sit outside and I had housekeeping go over it after she let me know about this
  3. they had one more day of uncertainty and one messy / unusable roof terrace 

When this problem started we did not know if we could get them to stop and offered them alternative accommodations at our expense, but they did not want to move as they thought it was too much hassle. I am thinking myself that a refund for one full day and 50 % off the next day should compensate for the stress, as the rest of the property was in fine condition and they spent both days at the pool but the uncertainty and stress that your vacation might be ruined is a heavy mental burden for some people and I want to make sure I don't undervalue that. 

Does anyone have any advice? 

Regards

Very new Superhost and hoping to stay one! 

1 Best Answer
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I really can't give you an exact amount, only an approach.

1. Breath and detach yourself from the drama that has past. You are not that guilty.

2. Determine THEIR current inconvenience, their state of mind and who they are.

Were they soothed by your efforts to stop the work and bring in housekeepers?

Often during a crisis, guests dramatize their unhappiness to ensure the problem will be fixed. You fixed it, now they may be happy.

1 and 1/2 days rebate seems too much. They did not choose to move. They like it. 

If they truly are unhappy and continue to relive the drama, 1 and 1/2 days will not make them happy.

Also call Airbnb for a negotiator, they are experienced in these matters.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I really can't give you an exact amount, only an approach.

1. Breath and detach yourself from the drama that has past. You are not that guilty.

2. Determine THEIR current inconvenience, their state of mind and who they are.

Were they soothed by your efforts to stop the work and bring in housekeepers?

Often during a crisis, guests dramatize their unhappiness to ensure the problem will be fixed. You fixed it, now they may be happy.

1 and 1/2 days rebate seems too much. They did not choose to move. They like it. 

If they truly are unhappy and continue to relive the drama, 1 and 1/2 days will not make them happy.

Also call Airbnb for a negotiator, they are experienced in these matters.

Thanks Paul. Great to get a different perspective. I think you might be right. I asked her to consider what she would think was reasonable compensation for their troubles and I haven't heard back yet. So either the sum is so large that it takes time to compute or they are finding out that this was just something to make their holiday a bit more memorable. 

@Kimberly71 I agree with @Paul154. Despite the inconvenience, they liked your home enough to say they were willing to stay even though there was a risk that painting could continue they refused your offer for re-homing. All things considered, I think a refund of 60~80% of your one night fee would be more than sufficient, if you think a refund is really necessary. 

Thanks Jessica and Henry! 

This is really difficult so I really appreciate your input.