what do i do when airbnb guest brings friend over?

Parker-and-Kimberly0
Level 1
Cartagena, Spain

what do i do when airbnb guest brings friend over?

Hey there,

I have a guest staying here for about three weeks. A few days into his stay he brought a girl over (not to spend the night). Already that made me feel uncomfortable since i have no idea who this person is. Can anyone tell me if Airbnb has a policy on bringing outside guests? 

Anyway, I let it slide because since he was staying a while, i figured it was fine. Well, today he brought the girl over again and long story short, they had sex and my husband and I could hear them while in the living room. He still is due to stay another 10 days but i feel incredibly uncomfortable with him staying much longer. Any suggestions? 

TIA

10 Replies 10
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Your house, your rules.  Many Airbnb hosts prohibit unregistered guests.  If your House Rules section doesn't already say this, I would update them to avoid this happening with future guests.

You've already let him have guests over twice now, so telling him now he's not allowed is going to seem a little silly.  You can, in a light-hearted way, let him know you heard his shenanigans and you'd appreciate if that didn't happen again. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Parker-and-Kimberly0

and for the future - put in your house rules that only registered guests are allowed to use the apartment day and night . Violation of house rules will lead to immediate cancelation of stay without a refund

thank you for the help!!!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Parker-and-Kimberly0

What I'd do, is knock on his door when they are in flagrante delicto and ask him would he and his girl friend like a nice cup of tea or coffee, I reckon that would spoil the moment and put them on guard to use fenching parlance.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Parker-and-Kimberly0

Hi guys - you have fallen into the trap of thinking that AirBnB run your business - they don't, you do. They have some umbrella policies about what you can and cannot do as an 'advertiser' on their site (eg discrimination) but it's up to you to decide on your house rules.

The second lesson is if you let a problem slide with a longer term guest, then you are creating a bigger problem. **bleep** it in the bud from the start. As for people having sex in your home, it will happen and probably a lot more than than you are aware of if you have two people staying - just turn up the TV.

Good luck

AirBnB has nothing to do with your property once they are booked.

If you don't want anyone having guests or affairs while in your propety you need to disclose that up front but good luck with that! 

But why should you care what anyone does behind closed doors if they are not damaging your property?  

It's not your business who people have sex with and I'm sure they'd not appreciate you making it public here.  

Do you not copulate with your partner while renting a room?  Would you appcreciate it if the host/hotel posts comments about it? 

And I'll be sure not to rent from you while in Spain!   

@Lee101  Sure, I'd have sex with my husband if we were renting a room - but we would make sure to do it DISCREETLY, as not to disburb the hosts.  And if it were just me renting a room (and I were single, obviously) I definitely wouldn't bring someone over if the House Rules were "No other guests allowed" and THEN "copulate" loudly enough for others to hear.  But that just seems polite to me.

The question was for the author not you and it was redundant to make a point as her listing did not say "No Guests" yet she still allowed a guest multiple times.    But, happy to hear you are a polite "comupator"! I'd def. let you book my property!  

LOL 

Margaret144
Level 1
Saint Kilda, Australia

I had a similar problem today. My guest brought a booze stenching random into the house at 9am as I was leaving for work, claiming that he was her byfriend of 3 years who was having to leave the country today. I was caffeine and sleep deprived, and grunted assent. Then I got to work, had a coffee and am furious. My houserules explicitly say 'no random houseguests', and I charge $25 for extra guests, because it's about trust and respect which she hasn't shown. She's due to leave tomorrow, but do I cancel her reservation NOW? or just write a crappy review.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Parker-and-Kimberly0

Extra guest charge each time!