When a guest cancels message

When a guest cancels message

A guest canceled the day before checking in. I have a moderate cancellation policy, so the guest will not get a refund. I feel a little guilty accepting the money even though the guest isn't staying for the night.

Is there a message I should send guests when they cancel and are not eligible for a refund? 

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sergio-and-Nicole0

Not really clear what you want to do...if you want to give a partial or total refund then you can (but only do this once you have been paid). 

Or you can contact the guest and tell them you will honour their booking another time, or give them a discount.

It's up to you.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sergio

Hi Sergio

Do you have a guest to take their place? if you do, I can understand your philanthropy, presumably your guest understood the terms and conditions they booked under.

If I had someone else to take their place I'd "REACH OUT" to them and offer them a refund (Airbnb take their fee good, bad, or indifferently) but otherwise I’d judge each case on its merits and obey the rules.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow.

P.S. Did they get your email and phone number?

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Sergio-and-Nicole0  If you have a Moderate cancellation policy, your guest actually WILL get SOME refunded to them. 

Read the policy here:  https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

"If the guest cancels less than 5 days in advance, the first night is non-refundable but 50% of the accommodation fees for remaining nights will be refunded. Cleaning fees are always refunded if the guest did not check in."