Use of my kitchen

Use of my kitchen

Many of my guests expect they can use my kitchen to cook meals and are offended when I tell them no.
I run a B&B not self catering. I offer breakfast but no other meals. Nowhere in my listing states that they can do this. I now lock my kitchen all the times and have put up signs.
I don't like to do this but don't want guests poking in my private fridge and using my things.
My prices are minimum and I have a good stsrdard of accommodation for my guests.
Why do they assume the house is for their use when they only book a room. I feel my listing is clear.
Do other hosts offer free use of their kitchens?
26 Replies 26
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Miranda

If you run a B&B you wouldn't expect people to ask to use your kitchen. However if you share your home with guests it's a different concept.

That's why it's so important when you sign up to BnB that you read the information for hosts and look at what other people offer locally to you.

You will see some are happy for people to use their kitchen, washing machine etc and some aren't. Some allow people to use their living space but others offer just a room.

The important thing is to make it clear in your listing both in the description and your photo's what you offer.  

If your listing doesn't show a kitchen and you say clearly what rooms guests can access ie we offer a warm cosy room with ensuite facilities. We can offer breakfast at an additional cost. We don't offer use of our kitchen but we provide a fridge and tea and making facilities in your room and there are plenty of cafe's and restaurants within easy walking distance" (just an example)

Then there should be no reason for them not to understand.

However no reason why you should reinforce when you send peope a welcome message before they arrive.

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Hello. What I have learned over the years is that not all guests read the ENTIRE LISTING from top to bottom. Many only care about the price and location!

Recently Airbnb added a "saved messages" template. Where you can create a message and input it into your emails (like a copy n paste) each time.

Now when I get a reservation request I insert this saved message

"Thanks for reaching out! I always first like to make sure potential guests have read my entire listing from to top to bottom to ensure a good fit. If you haven't already, please check it out to make sure it suits your needs.
I also recommend mapping the destinations you'll be visiting from the point of xxxxxxxxxxxx (my street address goes here).
I will be happy to accept your reservation if you are ready to book!

As far as kitchen privileges go mine says "Lite use of kitchen only"

Hope this helps!

some guest are coming with two kids and a dog. 

They've said they will need access to the kitchen as the can't dine out 'every night' - here for 3 nights, i think i should charge something for this - as it's my kitchen too and i will be a little inconvenienced (unless they cook for me too!) what do you think is a reasonable charge?

Also,  I've said I am dog-friendly but didn't add an additional cost, should I?

thanks

brand new airbnber

Dearest Julie,

I hope these guests were a dream for you by being gracious.

At least, I hope the nightmare of their stay is a distant empowering memory.

So many red flags.  When I read your situation, red streaks went across my vision - literally.

2 dogs AND they wanted to use the kitchen a lot AND they tried to guilt trip you. 

I now this tenant/guest intimately. For me, it's always the manipulation that bothers me most.

They want their problem (not wanting to cough up money for a more appropriate apartment ) to some how be your problem.

Please protect yourself more. Match the "market". Do not offer more than your competition and/or charge extra for services (pet fee, kitchen fee). Thereis a reason the market has a "standard". It protects you from abusers who are looking for naive hosts.

Conversly, there is a reason guests have two dogs and want to rent only a room in a house. They are testing their manipulation powers.

I know you have learned from your experience, because you were cognizant of the worry and stress of their upcoming arrival.

I wish you power and joy.

Oops my bad.

I   justreread, One dog and two kids.

That's even worse than 2 dogs!

Alexandra229
Level 3
Caterham, United Kingdom

I have recently booked my ffirst airbnb and as my trip is approaching I messaged my host to find out what kitchen appliances there are for use in her kitchen.
I have made sure I booked a room with access to a kitchen, and yes, I am one of those guests... ,...I thought I would be able to cook there - as I always do on holidays.

From what my host has politely replied, she is not very keen of use of her kitchen.., that made me make a search for forum discussion like this one. I am actually feel appalled from what I read here , from how you criticise your guest and all those comments.

There is a feel like you really dislike having guests in your house and the actual job as well. So why are you doing it??

Yes, when there is a kitchen advertised, I will have the impression I can cook there. That is the reason I book that room! I always cook ! I don't like eating in restaurants, I avoid it at all costs!
So it is not only about saving money for me, but also to feel well and healthy ! Cooking natural, good quality food. And yes, of course I want to save money too! - the same way you want to pocket some more for advertising the Kitchen!!! but then gossip about guests wanting to use it! Making nasty comments!
This is especially to Paul who wrote:

From Paul - "They want their problem (not wanting to cough up money for a more appropriate apartment ) to some how be your problem"

"Oops my bad.
I justreread, One dog and two kids.

That's even worse than 2 dogs!"

But then in another thread he is asking:

"Question: How much lower do you think your revenue is if you limit the kitchen?

$5/night? $10? $20?"

So Do you Paul actually want us to cough up a few extra bucks for you??!! You want our money but not providing the service??!! You are very arrogant , disrespectful and you shouldn't be in this business!

I too have a newly renovated nice house with a guests room - it's own bathroom. Making some extra money would not hurt me , however I wouldn't be a host , at least not for the moment, as I don't want to share my space and value my privacy at present.

So if you don't want to share a kitchen, then don't advertise it! Or at least make it crystal clear to Guest what they are and are not allowed to do!

Or get out of this business all together!

Sent from my iPad

Well Alexandra, your host may have stated kitchen use but it is up to them if it means cooking up meals or fridge use and making coffee. You are commenting on a host help platform where it is possible for hosts to "rant" or unload on some of the very difficult guests we come across. Try hosting for a while and you will see how much you adore a guest knocking on your door at 2 am to ask for cooking oil? Or a guest bringing a hookup and leaving their door open for all to see and definitely Hear. I go out of my way to please my guests who are on the whole lovely, but you sure meet some guests who will squeeze every bit of their booking fee out of you. Maybe you should try booking a self catering cottage at greater expense, as the warm home sharing experience airbnb advertise is really becoming a marketing ploy, it is a booking platform like all the others. Just because a host makes a little money renting a bed does not mean they want all their house monopolised by a guest. 

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

Here we go again...my listing states specifically no kitchen use ( a couple of times. I do provide a continental breakfast, I even state that it's yogurt, bagels and coffee, that's it. I just received an IB, the guests tells me how happy she is to be staying and informs me that they are vegan and gluten free...so they will be cooking their own breakast. Is that so? I respond "their is no kitchen use". Eyeyey...I haven't heard back ( the silence is deafening) but I think I'm in for some grief:(. I think at this point it's better to stop serving a continental breakfast and put in caps no kitchen use period. A couple of days ago I had a young couple show up with a large bag of groceries at check in and told me how much they were looking forward to " cooking" dinner...that didn't go over well when I said...NO. I think it might be a good idea when I send my " thanks for choosing my home" spiel, send me yor check in time and don't forget no cooking:)

Have I heard that song before.  Now I have a standard message.  That nasty old health department won't let you use any of our kitchen equipment, because we do not have a commercial dishwasher, just an ordinary household one.   This is true.  Anything we serve has to be prepackaged in a place with the proper sanitation assured.  Gee, I'm really sorry, but bureaucracy is what it is, you know.  Same with the laundry.  Really, it's out of my hands.

@Ardis-And-Teresa0 I think I finally found a olution:). I changed my welcome message ( this shown before they hit " reserve". Hopefully this will make it clear:).  

Your welcome message before booking
Thank you for choosing my home. There is no kitchen use and it's a dander free home. I look forward to hosting you. Please update your arrival time 24 hours prior to check. Namaste, Sharion

That should do it, but I'm convinced people see what they want to see. 

@Ardis-And-Teresa0 For sure they see what they want to see...but I have it in my listing (3 times and on my welcome message). Can't do any more than that:) If you don't read it...your problem, not mine:)