UNSAFE LISTING! AIRBNB PLEASE TAKE DOWN!!

Jaime66
Level 1
New York, NY

UNSAFE LISTING! AIRBNB PLEASE TAKE DOWN!!

I'm sorry to do this on the Host Community, but we have no other way to warn people. We have tried contacting Airbnb about this listing several times, we've been on hold for hours, and if we're finally able to talk to a person, they tell us they can't help us.

My daughter helped me book this listing to visit my sick mother. Everything seemed normal in my exchanges with the host leading up to my arrival. Then, on the night of my arrival, a family friend dropped me off at the address given by the host. The house was empty.

I messaged the host and he seemed confused. He gave me another address, saying the first had been a mistake. My friend took me to that address and the room was nothing like it was described in the listing. It was not in a house where the host lives (as he claims), it was in a warehouse where people had access day and night. The room was dirty and it looked and seemed nothing like it was described in the listing.

I felt very unsafe, and at one point had to stop him from closing the door to lock me inside. Luckily, I was with a friend. I told the "host" that I was not staying there, it was not safe and he had lied. I left and have canceled the reservation. But now Airbnb will not respond to our multiple calls and emails, and THIS LISTING IS UNSAFE.

THIS IS THE UNSAFE LISTING: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17805114

I hope people see this and know that this sketchy guy is pretending to be an Airbnb host, but it seems like he's really looking to trap travellers when they are alone. I have reported it to Airbnb but have not received a response. AIRBNB PLEASE TAKE DOWN THIS LISTING. I'm afraid someone else will book and this guy will do something to them.

9 Replies 9
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Jaime66. On the listing's page, click the little flag icon on the right that says "Report this listing". Then you can briefly state that the address is not the one given upon booking, and the premises are unsafe. 

Thanks! I did, but it took them 3 days to take it down... 

If you haven't yet, make sure you flag the listing and the profile.  

Contact Airbnb via Twitter. https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728%...

Thank you, I did. It took them 3 days to take it down...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jaime66,

Welcome to the Community Center. I am sorry to hear you experienced this and it is very kind of you to want to warn others. 

I have tried to click on the link you have included and it doesn't seem to go to a listing now, so it does appear that the listing may have been removed. 

On a side note, I do hope you mother feels better soon and you have a better stay next time. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

Thank you for your cookie-cutter, useless comment. How great that three days later the listing is taken down. I assume the host did it once I canceled, not Airbnb's useless community management.

Thankfully, I was able to find a place to stay outside of the Airbnb website which me, my family and any friends who will listen will not be using again.

This was a dangerous situation I found myself in. But the most disappointing part of all this has been Airbnb's response. As I was scrambling to find a new place to stay (thankfully I had friends in the city), my daughters were trying to get a hold of someone at Airbnb to warn them about this listing. They were on hold for hours and the two times they were able to get a rep on the phone, they refused to help them in anyway. I understand that you need to protect data privacy, but I'm in another country and cannot contact you. I needed someone to call on my behalf. What if I had found myself trapped by my "host"? Then what? We also send a few emails and none of them have gotten a response.

We canceled the reservation and you still have the audacity to charge me a fee. We will dispute any and all charges on our credit card.

You need to work on this system. This is very dangerous.

@Jaime66

Out of order response and rude. You reported a problem after experiencing an uncomfortable situation and Airbnb did something about it. Do not take it out on fellow community members or online moderators for the forum!

@Jaime66  This is a community forum where we hosts try to help both hosts and guests. We are not paid by Airbnb.

I realize that Airbnb has faults, but don't take it out on us, who are not Airbnb employees.

I have also put a red flag on two listings that are against Airbnb rules. Both are yachts complete with captains to take you where you want to go. Airbnb listings, if yachts, must be anchored. I placed the flags last week. The listings are still there.

We are here to help because Airbnb isn't.

Jane255
Level 3
Saint Simons Island, GA

It does link to a listing...NOW.  Just checked.