The Airbnb Community Commitment

Ron47
Level 3
Navan, Ireland

The Airbnb Community Commitment

Hi Airbnb,

I have received your email regarding the The Airbnb Community Commitment.

It is recommendable that you are doing this, however, I find it a disgrace that you are forcing me to accept this clause or else. What is that? I have my own values, and discrimination is not a part of that. I don’t need you to tell me how I am supposed to conduct me in real life. And then threaten me to close my account in the process if I don’t abide by your rules. How is that not discriminating?

It’s a great thing you don’t accept discrimination, but you are a big hypocrite in the process. I will not let anybody force me into accepting anything. So I will be happy to cancel my account, I don’t want to deal with companies who discriminate me and try to take away my freedom of speech. I don’t want to belong in a bunch of hypocrites.

Regards

Ronald

155 Replies 155
Elvi0
Level 5
Bogor, Indonesia

Ronald -

I have to mostly agree with you. If Airbnb was considering making such a provision to the "community" rules, then why not open this issue to community discussion prior giving us a "take it or leave" ultimation? I'm retired in Indonesia and have a place that we've recently opened up to visitors via Airbnb (and other platforms). But, in order to allow visitors, we MUST follow the local village norms ... NOT these USA based guidelines. And Airbnb gives us only two or three days to consider this or be thrown out? I guess I'm with you, Ron.  Airbnb has been a good source of guests, but I'll just refocus on the other platforms who give the hosts some control over who walks in the front door of my private home.

Ken

Are we allowed to discriminate against smokers?

How about pet-owners?

There are so many rules and regulations these days, 

everybody is being discriminated against... one way or another!

We must fight back, and keep our rights.

Thanks for listening!

You need to understand what discrimination is first - before including things like smoking which has never fallen under any description or regulation re discrimination- it's a health and it heakth/safety issue. 

I have had in the past a bunch of 20's something, and they even threw **bleep**ty toilette paper up and stuck it to the roof, they drank excessively, yelled and raved hell inside my cottage by the sea. As I understand , the company is responsible for abusive behavior and for any damage to my property if this happens , can any one confirm this please? ALSO, has any of you have problems with payment form the company? i just recently joined and have not have the pleasure yet of undergoing any of these experiences with this company.  thanks

@Anna446

I think you need to take some time and read about how the booking system works.

When you say Company if you mean AirBnB then they absolutely are not responsible for the behaviour of people who may use the system to book with you.

David

Thank you David, I joined recently and I am pretty sure that I read that damage is paid. I will have to revise this. Ana

Much more compicated than that.

David

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. I usually stay in the little house next to the one I rent, so I keep an eye on these young people. However, I feel that Airbnb have the right to ask us to sign a clause where it says we won't discriminate against youngsters. I have no kids, but have 3 lovely nephews in their late teens and early 20's, I would hate to see them being discriminated because they are latins and young. I have read some postings here, mostly from the UK, and am surprise to see that these comments on race as one lady posted will be an issue for her to re-rent for them, because of her negative experience. If we open our properties to business, we have to allow for some testing situations. I am a spinster with a good sense of humor, very set in my ways but I believe that all these comments of people feeling that Airbnb is outlandishly creeping up on their liberties is really sad. The city I live is small and lovely by the beach, so we are used to receiving people in the summer time and we bend backwards to accommodate and to welcome guests. Yes young people are noise, were we not noisy when we were young once? I do pull a plug on them when I feel that they are being nasty, but Airbnb did the right thing to ensure that no one is being discriminated, is the decent thing to do , and as a company dealing with people from all over the world, they did what is expected. I would expect no different from them, so I probably signed it and supported their decision. I see you live in LOVELY COLORADO. Never been there, lived in UTAH, but never visited Colorado. But it made an impression on me with the movie MISERY, one of my most favorite movies. Annie Wilkes has my name and she also lived in the woods alone as I do, however, I have none of her impulses of keeping men here pegged to their beds! LOL love from Brazil to all the community! ana

I think it is different if you are nearby, I do remember what I was like at that age and not sure I would want to rent to me. Sadly there have been quite a few cases where people not nearby have rented out short term for what became a Party House with all the issues that brought.

I am on site and do not attract the partgoers because of my location, I also use Instant Book but would not suggest somebody new to AirBnB does so, seems to work for me.

I personally know people who have houses they rent out and live nowhere near, but none of them use AirBnB and the systems they have involve much more checking and hefty deposits, and much tighter contracts.

David

I am fully with Ron, Elvi (Ken), Henry Lona & the others who feel similarly. While I agree with the spirit of Airbnb's Community comittment clause. they seem to forget that we also live within a community (neighbourhood, locality, city,...) that has it's own sentiments, culture & traditions that we have to respect. I do not therefore defnitely approve Airbnb's threatening 'Accept or else' attitude. Maybe they don't care!

Cheers to All, Vasantha, Krithika Homestay, Chennai, India.

Claude8
Level 3
Champigny-sur-Marne, France

L'adhésion obligatoire à des valeurs est un non-sens et un mensonge social.
Cette charte s'applique-t-elle aux locataires qui pourraient chercher dans n'importe quoi des motofs de se sentir "discriminés"? 

Il y a certaines gens que je refuse d'accueillir, qunad je les sens pinailleurs ou inadaptés à ma propriété. Et j'ai l'intention de continuer à procéder ainsi.

The only problem I foresee with the new terms is age. Given that I am forced to take a bunch of twenty year olds, I will have no choice but to up the damage deposit to an amount that will probably put many off

Yes Gerald ... in the past I've had some groups of "kids" come and raise havoc to my properly. So now I "discriminate" against younger groups by requiring a larger damage deposite, and/or requiring a parent, or just refusing them. Perhaps Airbnb will give me free additional insurance to offset the damage from the kids? And as I mentioned previously, for the local village to allow me to host "outsiders", I MUST follow local customs. Or maybe Airbnb will pay for my house when the villagers torch it because I "inclusively" let ANYONE stay there? I am well travelled and I believe very open minded... but sorry Airbnb, I live in Muslim rural Indonesia and MUST consider the community I live in.

Ken

Hi Ken

Fortunaly I don't have your problem. While I think Airbnb mean well, I don't think this has been properly thought out. There are many places in the World where one has to respect local culture, tradition, religion and what might be totally unacceptable to us the norm there. Why this is the very reason many of us love to travel, to experience cultures and their taboos, while we might frown upon it, not to do so would be insulting.