Superhost-Status

Jane--And-Peter0
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Superhost-Status

We have been a superhosts for some time now and just received an email to say we were losing that status. I have copied the email from Airbnb at the end of this post

It mentions 5 star reviews  80% of the time which I believe we have  (I have copied the insert from our hosting sight)....so can anyone explain what has happened.

Airbnb 80%  5 star review.JPG

Dear Jane And Peter,

This quarter, you didn’t qualify for Superhost status. We know that’s disappointing, and you might miss that Superhost badge for a little while. But you know what it takes to deliver exemplary hospitality to guests — and we know you can do it again.

Your status is re-evaluated every quarter, so keep an eye on your host dashboard, and focus a little extra energy on the following Superhost standard(s):

• Guest Satisfaction: Receive 5-star reviews at least 80% of the time

We hope you’ll be back as a Superhost soon.

The Airbnb Team

23 Replies 23
Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

If I'm not mistaken, your overview shows the overall scoring from the start of your hosting activities. The Superhost status however, is calculated every 3 months over a 1-year period (not over the overall score).

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

On the 'Stats' page it says superhost requires an average overall rating of 4.8. If that single 3 star rating was in the last year that is probably enough to lower your average to less than the required 4.8:

24*5 + 5*4 + 1*3 = 123/30 = 4.767

The robot that makes this calculation probably is not giving you the benefit of rounding to the nearest 10th 😞

Wietske0
Level 2
Eindhoven, Netherlands

@James1 I don't see the rule of 4.8 that you refer to. Airbnb clearly states that for super host status you must have 80% 5-star reviews.

@Bob You are correct. 

What complicates things is that from 1 October onwards the stats show the new running period, while the evaluation is based upon the period until 30 September, however taking into account  reviews that arrive till 14 October, as reviews can be delayed by 14 days.

superhostcriteria.png

Thanks everyone for your responses. Its all too complicated for me so we will just continue doing what we do and not worry about trying to sort out the details.

Cheers

Jane and Peter

Knowing you are super hosts from your own perspective is much better than having to meet someone elses standards, in this case a computer program on a web site. Statistically the more times you host, the less chance of meeting these unrealistic algorithm calculations. Super host status is just an idea and like all ideas they are not good bad or indifferent in and of themselves. Realise that for some time you had a small icon with your listing, did it really create more revenue, probably not, you probably held your price constant. Did it improve the quality of the guests you attracted, probably not, thier expectations were now unrealistically high, maybe. Personally I would not waste too much time trying to make other people opinion of you the focus of your attention, as there is clearly always one out there and you might have been unlucky to have hosted that one. Take a few slow deep breaths, know this will pass and treat yourselves and each other with the higherst regard, knowing you have opened your selves up to others opinion and it is not always accurate or what you want to hear. Final thought, in the grand scheme of life, your reflections will be about the real relationships and not the imagined. 

Suggestions: People like shinny stuff and they also like to be made to feel as if they are important (mostly they are not, however many are). Put some shinny stuff around key areas, it actually makes a difference, it shouldnt but it does. Also during your conversations use a little suggestion e.g. bla bla bla "like me" bla bla bla "more and more bla bla bla (you get the idea) also use the number 5 or higher as much as you can whilst engaging with guests. Give them high 5's believe it or not this actually works. Not that I have though about being a super host, perish the though I am more interested in happyness and love than shaped pixels on a screen.

Still not convinced, then let me do the most obvious trick in the book: "We think you are great, you are doing a fantastic job, well done, keep up the good work, we are proud of you". Now take that feeling double it double it again and memorise it for the rest of your life, know it will always be there waiting for you when you need it.

One last attempt, print off the super host badge and stick it on your screen.

Elodi, I like your style! Suggestions helpful for every aspects of life. It's not about the tangible as much as the intangible that makes us complete. Makes us happy. Purpose of our lives is to do this for ourselves and each other! I bet those S.H.'s are super in everything! Congratulations!!!

@Carl-and-Elodie0 

That last line is funny. I should have done that when I had SH status. I agree w what you say. I'm making more without SH status and I'm still at or near the top of the list. My profile when the guests look says 4.91, but on my performance page it currently says 4.73 and it will be 4.75 when the last 5 star review is calculated. Do you know why there is a discrepancy? 

Hi James,

Can you give me the math for my situation. Please see below.

I have a question. I lost my Super Host cuz someone gave me a 1 star review and her reservation was cancelled by Airbnb. Yesterday Airbnb informed me that they removed this crazy lady's review.  Anyway, up until today I had nine 5 star reviews, one 4 star review, and one 3 star review. That leaves me at 4.7. Today, I got another 5 star review. Does anyone know what my score will be when the last 5 star review is calculated? Can anyone please show me the math? I forgot or I'm tired. I'm not sure.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ann10 With the latest 5 star review you will move to 4.75. (9x5 + 4 + 3 +5)/12

@Mike-And-Jane0 - They still have not calculated in the last 5 star review and it's at 4.73 on the performance page. Does this mean that I will not regain my Super Host status? Last I heard they do not round up. Also, if someone looks at my listing it says 4.91. Do you know why there is a discrepancy? Thank you so much for giving me the math. That helps. 

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Okay, I figured out that (9x5 + 4 +3)/12 = 4.727. Sorry for being so dumb. Anyway, do they round up? Cuz the the score of 4.73 is a round up from 4.727. I'm actually making more without SH status and I'm not getting the 5% instead of 3% charge. They were charging me 5% to send my money early. I don't want them to do that. I would rather pay 3% and get paid after the people check in.

Do all Super Hosts get this extra charge or would it be because I have the Super Strict cancellation policy?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ann10 I have never heard of a 5% charge for Superhost so I suspect this is down to the suer strict policy

@Mike-And-Jane0 - I only got the charge when I was a SH so it must be a combination of the two. Do you know if they will round the 4.75 up? Or do I have to wait 3 more months and hope I don't get some crazy in the mean time?