Should Host's have access to Guest's address...

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Should Host's have access to Guest's address...

Hi Folks

Since Guests have access to our email, phone, and accommodation details obviously, surely, it’s only natural justice that we should also get this information in return.

Let me list some of the benefit I can think of.

1. Teenagers

2.Ner do well

3.Blackmailer (if you don't go along with my bad behaviour I give you a bad review)

4.Thiefs

5.Swindlers

this list is by no means definitive so feel free to add more or roast me for such a suggestion.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow

6 Replies 6
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Hotels don't have access to this information, so why would Airbnb hosts?

Also, if someone is using a fake alias in order to make a reservation and trash the place/steal stuff - chances are the address on file isn't going to be correct either.

@Cynthia-and-Chris1

Because the guest are staying in are homes not our business premises and they are paying very reasonable price to do so.

In most cases when I have booked a Hotel, Holiday etc I have been asked for my address. I rented a carpet cleaner recently and they required photo ID.

David

In Australia hotels require your home address, drivers licence & photo ID...and did so when I travelled in the US...so I'm unsure why you would say they dont get that access so why should Airbnb hosts??

I believe we should get those details for all the reasons listed by the gentleman

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Cormac, This is Airbnb. You can ask the guest for his address.

You can ask and make a copy of his license/passport.  You can ask that they sign an application and  contract.

You have a right to do all these things.

Of course, it has a price. You  may lose business. You are competing amongst other hosts who don't do this.

Against these competitors you may seem difficult to deal with.

I only ask for ID if they have not been verified on Airbnb or if they don't have a face picture.

Otherwise, I am tempting fate.  I do enjoy a quick effortless sale. Demanding an address would complicate the booking process.

Fortunately, the Airbnb guest is 10 times better than a long-term traditional tenant. For swindlers in that lot, while I may have their address, that has never helped me when cheated.

If a host has a highly desirable and expensive apartment, I would ask for and verify an application. But for low end budget digs like mine, it doesn't seem worth it.

@Paul154

Hi Paul

I'm on instant booking and I never asked for this information.

I suppose because of the alleged nature of Airbnb, I think that we should get this information automatically it’s a sort of quid pro quo.

I agree swindlers are good at their job, but we don't have to make it easy for them and addresses can be automatically check against the electoral register perhaps?

I surprised you left the baby grand piano on your property I can imagine the amount of guest who have been playing it again Sam.

Regards

Cormac