Security Deposit Outside Of Airbnb

Craig74
Level 1
Holytown, United Kingdom

Security Deposit Outside Of Airbnb

Hi I am new to Airbnb and this is only my second booking. I have booked a place in Thailand and the host was chatting to me on air bnb no problem, she then asked if airbnb had supplied her email address so we could contact direct. I told her I had not received it but supplied mine to her via the airbnb messanger. She then emails me direct a help sheet with all the details for the condo,  however included in this was a requirement of a 5000 baht security deposit which is returned upon me leaving. At first I thought this was just standard practice however having looked on the site it seems this should be done via airbnb site. I have sent an email direct to her explaining I want this done via airbnb however she is not reponding to me. Is this normal, am I likely to get the money returned, should I just ask her to cancel the booking now? Not really sure on this you're advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

4 Replies 4
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Craig74 It's not only not normal, but the host is violating AirBnB's terms of service by conducting a financial transaction outside of the AirBnB platform. You should not play along, as it could lead to further problems.

If I were you, I'd send her an AirBnB message telling her that you cannot put up a security deposit other than one within AirBnB. The reason to write her within the AirBnB message system is that if she repsonds there in any detail, AirBnB will be able to see what she's said. (You should never have corresponded with her via email.) As soon as she dos make a definitive response, contact AirBnB to cancel the reservation w/o penalty for you. (By no penalty, I mean that they shouldn't charge you their service fee.)

Even if the host refuses to correspond within AirBnB, send her at least one more similar message. Her lack of response will bolster your case when you contact AirBnB.

Worst case, go ahead and cancel on your own. You'll be charged the service fee, of course. Hopefully, your cancellation will be far enough in advance that you don't get charged a partial fee for the booking.

Good luck!

Craig74
Level 1
Holytown, United Kingdom

Hi yeah I now know that I shouldnt have coresponded with her direct but I wasnt expecting any problems and as I mentioned I am new to the site so wasnt up to speed on this front. When you mention other prblems it could lead to (if I played ball with her), what do you mean exactly, what other problems could arrise. I only ask that as I really want the booking to go ahead as I really like the place and its location. This is a month long rental which has a strict cencellation policy so I am not sure how it works if I cancel? The booking isnt until the start of March if that helps?

Thanks.

@Craig74 It has the makings of a scam and you have zero protection from AirBnB if you operate knowingly outside their policy. My view is that you should decline to book with this host and flag her to AirBnB. What she is doing is not allowed - there is no reason why she cannot increase the security deposit on the AirBnB platform.

Update I had not noticed this but there is a security deposit already taken against this on the airbnb site which equates to 5000 baht, this has left me more confused, is she trying to hit me twice for this or what!?