Robbed by my guests this weekend - want to prevent them from stealing from other hosts

Margaret133
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Robbed by my guests this weekend - want to prevent them from stealing from other hosts

I thought I'd share my anecdote in hopes it would be informative to others - I rented my apartment to a man and his significant other this past Saturday and came home to find that $300 of makeup was stolen out my off-limits closet along with a pair of sunglasses, a purse and a few Apple lightning cords. At minimum $650 worth is gone. The reservation was under the man's name, and I wonder if his S/O took my things while he was out or in the shower or if he was in on it. For all I know, they had a guest who did it. It's a very open apartment so it would be hard to sneak that you're rifling through stuff and stealing it.

I am very grateful that nothing sentimental or difficult to replace was stolen, but now I am going to deal with the headache and cost of key replacement in a fourplex apartment building.

I have had all wonderful guests and hosting experiences up until this point, although I now realize that my suspicions about whether I was the best candidate for hosting have been confirmed. My landlord does not know that I rent it out, and I do not have an electronic keypad for the doors. Since this is petty theft and I don't want to upset my landlord about my Airbnb activity, I'm not going to file a police report and will take the loss.

As much as I was looking forward to renting out my place for Kentucky Derby weekend, I believe my hosting days are over for as long as I live here. I have one more reservation coming up but plan on canceling it.

I do however want to do everything I can to make sure these guests are reported and hopefully banned from staying with other hosts. I am not going to leave a review for them until I've dealt with the locks. Also, I read that Airbnb's first suggestion is to reach out with the guests that robbed me to try and reach a resolution. I do not really feel like engaging people who are low enough to steal 8 year old eyeshadow and lightning cords, so I was a little disappointed in this recommendation.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Without involving the police your options are limited.

Obviously a big thumbs down, be careful how far you go in the written comments as the Guests may be able to have it removed.

They can of course just set up a new profile and start from scratch.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't have a lot of sympathy for a host who is illegally sub letting a property without their landlords permission.

You do know that if they damaged your landlords property you would be liable as it is unlikely you have taken out appropriate insurance to cover short term lettings.

Hopefully you let Airbnb know what happened and you can flag their profile and leave a review to say that 600 dollars worth of items disappeared during their stay.

I have Cameras and a sign letting my guests know that they are on camera when they enter my home. Only at the entrance and my private spaces. People who training they are on camera tend not to go into places they are not suppose to be. You could always bluff and tell them you aight them on camera and they need to return your belongings or you will take it to the police 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Margaret133

Don't get too upset there are dishonourable people everywhere!

If I was you Margaret, I'd tell the landlord in case they come back and cleanout the place dishwasher, washing machine, furniture etc, it’s probably unlikely that they will return, but as I say there are dishonourable people everywhere! better safe than sorry.

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Margaret133 I'm sorry that you have had this happen!

You are among a great many hosts who sublet without all the approvals, and don't let anyone here tell you how to run your business.  If every host on Airbnb was totally legit, there would be tumbleweeds blowing down the corridor.   

Take the hit, regroup and carry on if you want, or pack it in as a host in that location if that suits you best.  But don't let one lousy event stop you from hosting if up until now it's been good.

I've been on Airbnb for 7 years and had thousands of guests, and had less than 5 bad experiences, and none of them bad enough to make me pack it in, so maybe this one situation will be your only bad event!

Good luck to you.

I appreciate everyone's perspectives. For now, it's time for me to hang up my Airbnb hat, but I'd love to return to Airbnb as a host one day when I own my own place and have an electronic keypad system. For now this is not an ideal situation for hosting, as much as I love creating positive experiences for my guests - the vast majority of which have been wonderful. I'm not here to pass judgment on folks who host without discussing it with their landlords, but ultimately I feel that it's not tenable for me. I'm glad this situation wasn't worse and everyone cross their fingers that getting lock(s) changed won't cost almost all of my paycheck. Once that's done I'll leave a negative review for the thieves so they won't be welcomed anywhere else.

good call @Margaret133 with age and experince comes wisdom        just saying its not true!

good luck and kidos for your story. we are the uber of rooms