Request for more money by host a few days before arrival

Answered!
Andy-and-Fee0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Request for more money by host a few days before arrival

Booked a trip 4 months ago for a weekend away next weekend. Received a request for money by the host a few days back claiming that our reservation only covered 2 people instead of 3 - therefore requesting more money for the additional person. Yet, the receipt from airbnb states 3 travelers but does not give a detailed breakdown of how the costs have been calculated.

Does anyone know if there is a way to receive a detailed receipt or how to contact the airbnb team directly?

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Very odd indeed.  If your receipt/itinerary says 3 persons, that is also your contract with this host.  If the host since then has changed her/his policy for an extra charge for each person after two, that would only apply to those booking after this change.  

If I were you, I would not accept this change until clarified.  Discuss with your host.  

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Very odd indeed.  If your receipt/itinerary says 3 persons, that is also your contract with this host.  If the host since then has changed her/his policy for an extra charge for each person after two, that would only apply to those booking after this change.  

If I were you, I would not accept this change until clarified.  Discuss with your host.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would ensure any messages are through BNB so there is a papertrail of what has been said.

If you booked and paid for three people then the host can't impose additional charges.

However if you booked for two and then subsequently changed the booking to three they can ask for additional fees.

You can also call BNB if you come to an impasse with your host (use search function here for contact numbers)

Marty5
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

The host cannot modify the reservation without your accepting the new terms. If the host decides to cancel it will negatively impact their host stats. Airbnb can also work with guest's to find similar listings if you have a concern.
Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I have a listing that states a max of 2 however in some rare cases I will accept am3rd for a few dollars more for the air bed. If the listing has a max of two and the host accepted the 3rd they would have to change the criteria to accept the 3rd. It was recommended to me by Airbnb just to resend a special offer that includes the 3rd without the breakdown and changing the criteria for just one guest when I did this.
Most experienced hosts know that you don't change directions in the middle of the stream. Price gouging is against the rules and its. It likely they would jeopardize the entire listing for a few dollars. It was confusing to my guest in the above mentioned case, but once they understood I couldn't change the listing to bring in the 3rd guest, it was fine. I'm sure this is probably the case here. I would simply message the host and ask.