Nasty Weather and Calendars

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Nasty Weather and Calendars

A few hosts around me are going bonkers because we have a blizzard coming and their guests can't leave (crazy number of flights were cancelled yesterday) and new ones can't come in.

Here's an idea for those of you who are afraid this may become your reality one day.

Because I live in New England, I know that my winters can be whacked and August can look like a runway of hurricanes, all named with super cute names which I never understood.

I block my calendar from Christmas to March 31 and my calendar is available 12 months out.

Then I go to my WeatherUnderground website (best one out there) and I watch that weather like a hawk 15 days out.

If things look good, I unblock dates.  If they look bad, I leave the calendar alone.

I'm not going to pick up a lot of business during these months, because really.... who wants to come HERE when they can drive ten hours south and be in the Carolinas.  I mean, Connecticut is cool but it ain't all THAT.

The benefit of this weather-watching, calendar-massaging practice is that it keeps me high on the search as I am constantly "touching" that calendar AND it exposes my property as available which may have me end up on a wish list.

Hurricanes are easier for me to deal with as I am not directly on the water and once the rain stops and the winds settle, there's no freezing temperature to ice airplane wings and all that jazz.  But I still watch these things and pay attention.

I am very new to ABB (ten days) and I used a different platform before where I rented the entire house.  I learned a lot during that time and applied this practice.  With ABB's cancellation policies being so punitive on hosts, I am forever grateful that I had that system in place.

Sending this out as it may help someone.

Time to restock the wine racks.... it's gonna be a long three days for me and my doggies.

Have a good day, folks.  Stay warm, stay safe, and know that everything should have melted by Saturday.  *snort*

4 Replies 4
Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Wendy-and-Frank0

Thanks for the plug for the Carolinas! And if you ever get fed up with the "weather-watching, calendar-massaging" - come down and visit us!

And for the others - this certainly would qualify for Airbnb's 'extenuating circumstances' - so best of luck with this weather, and stay safe and warm.

Best Wishes.

Rachael (snug and warm in front of her cabin log fire in the Carolina mountains)

@Rachael26, the Carolinas are fabulous!

I've actually been to Asheville.  That's where NOAA stores unbelievable records of weather/weather patterns/all that good stuff.

Only a nerd would go to NOAA while in NC.  I was in Cary (Research Triangle Area) but couldn't leave without going to NOAA.

Weather is definitely an extenuating circumstance, but what happens if you have people in your house and they can't leave???  Yikes!

@Wendy-and-Frank0

So how's the blizzard up there? Are you safe and warm - and any power cuts?

Stay safe!

Rachael

@Rachael26, we got NOTHING!

Grrrr.....

We have a travel ban (now I know how some people feel) and it was AWFUL because it was sunny and the three flurries we got were melted by 10 AM.

Nothing was open but we didn't lose power or internet or cable so I caught up on Scandal and Grey's Anatomy.