My host unofficially cancelled

Alex315
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

My host unofficially cancelled

Hi,

I made two bookings with a host in Sri Lanka for two consecutive nights. The host informed me straight away that the booking for the second night wasn't available so I had to cancel it. I asked for options and then accepted that it wasn't available, and then asked FOUR times afterwards without acknowledgement for him to cancel it as otherwise I would lose a $7 service fee. It is now 4 days before the accomodation and he said that he asked me 7 days earlier to cancel it and he is unable to cancel it. What can I do to ensure that I get a refund for this nights accomodation ?

Thanks,

Alex.

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Contact Airbnb - via Twiitter (search for Airbnb Help) or via the contact details given on your booking confirmation

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

Sounds like your host is pulling a fast one, of course he can cancel it from his side.

It's likely your host is trying to avoid the penalties a host is liable for when cancelling ( automated black review, blocked calendar and upto a 100 dollar fine.) However these are not your concern.

You can cancel the room yourself but you should certainly choose "My host needs to cancel" option. This makes sure you don't lose out on a retained service fee.

The host should confirm this cancellation, but if he decides not to, then you should call airbnb directly. You can also leave him an instant messages telling him to accept otherwise explain you will be contacting airbnb to ask them to intervene.

Australia +61 2 8520 3333

I just cancelled it but realised that he had a moderate cancellation policy (full refund up to 5 days before). Does this means if he accepts I won't be refunded ? I marked that my host needs to cancel as the reason. Is there any way to undo a cancellation because he is being a **bleep** and I want to make his life miserable and make him pay a $100 fine. 

If you selected the  "My host needs to cancel" option, then airbnb should send confirmation to you once the host has accepted it.

It doesn't matter what the host has chosen as a cancellation policy, these only come into play if it is the guest who decides to cancel outside of the "My host needs to cancel" option.

See the link below which explains what you should expect regarding a full refund and credit.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/170/what-happens-if-my-host-cancels-my-reservation

If you don't hear anything from the host, or if the host rejects this reason then it's best to call airbnb to involve them to intervene in resolving the matter directly. Besides, you might be thinking now you don't want to stay at the place for your non-cancelled day booking - perhaps airbnb can at their discretion find you something more suitable if you speak to a representative.

Abrie0
Level 1
East London, South Africa

I arrived in Casablanca on 17 December. Phoned my host only to be told he is not in Casablanca so I can't stay with him. Nice, what now. I reported this to Airbnb immediately and am still waiting for an answer. I am sorry Airbnb is USELESS when it comes to communication and help.

I paid for this room for three days and expect a refund from Airbnb. I have my home listed on the site but I am going to remove it soon

Abrie ***  South Arica