Legal waiver and release from damages language in listing?

Pam15
Level 2
La Crosse, WI

Legal waiver and release from damages language in listing?

I know that AirBnB markets to us using the Loyds of London policy for liability but we have many concerns about this coverage, especially since we recently learned that the homeowner's insurance we had on our cottage was nullified by having AirBnB guests.  As a result of these concerns we have incorporated as a LLC business, changed our insurance on all of our property to business insurance and hired a lawyer to advise us. 

I met with our lawyer to discuss any issues I should be aware of in listing our cottage on AirBnB and he provided two short paragraphs with language notifying guests that they may access our dock and canoes at their own risk. He also wrote a similar statement about staying at the cottage itself. These statements are intended to be included in our listing and when a guest books it will be considered as consent to these statements limiting our liability. He said with doing this and the other steps we have taken we can avoid having to ask our guests to sign a discrete liability contract before they book, which, I have read elsewhere on this site, dampens reservations. I've also read here that having them sign the contract upon arrival should not be done, for a variety of reasons. 

So here is my question for you : have any of you had the experience of incuding liabilty statements on your listing? If so, was there any reaction from AirBnB? And finally, would you be willing to direct me to your listing so I could see how and where you included them in the text of the listing?

Any advise on this will be much appreciated. 

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Did you find an answer to your question? A Host would like to do something similar here in Mexico where liability insurance cannot be relied upon. 

Thanks,

Sharon

Hi @Julia221 If you go to her listing, you can see that she did add her waiver information under "Other Things to Note". @Pam15 won't see your post here unless you put the little @  in there. Hope that helps! Karen

Colleen32
Level 4
Kingston, TN

I recently purchased commercial liability insurance for my listing through Proper Insurance.  They requested that I post a paragraph for my guests to read before booking, which they wrote.  It is quite lengthy, so I put it into my listing Description.  Then, I added a House Rule that they agree to the liability waiver in the description.  Additionally, after booking, I email a link to a survey page I generated on my own website, where they must check a box that they understand and agree to the waiver.  I know it seems overkill, but so far all my guests have done it.  My listing is on 60 acres with miles of hiking trails, fire pit, kayaks, dock and swimming on the Tennessee River.  I feel relieved after purchasing the insurance and adding the waiver.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9791238

Can you please post the language of the waiver? Thank you