Last review was bad, but I've been a Super Host.

Marla8
Level 1
Palisade, CO

Last review was bad, but I've been a Super Host.

I have a small home in a rural area and advertise it exactly as it is. I've been a SuperHost regularly and I've even had 4 guests ask to buy my house. But my last guest gave me a poor review saying it was "dirty and had bugs." In the country we call those spider webs and they can form over night despite my awesome cleaning lady. I even put in my listing that it's a rural area with these possibilities. I was in email contact with the guest and of course she never said anything. I should've put "Anyone who doesn't like bugs in any way should never come here!" The house is very clean and old reviews are all stellar. Anyway, my house isn't available again until next May so it's just sitting there with this bad review at the top. Any suggestions? I was going to email Airbnb, but they seem to be making that even harder to do! Is it possible to upload something from someone who is not a registered guest, but who has rented my house?

4 Replies 4
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I was going to suggest you could leave a BRIEF, unemotional response to the review, but then I looked at your profile and saw you've already left a very lengthy response that actually draws MORE attention to the person's review than it would have without a response.  Bummer for you.  For future reference, a brief, "Thanks for much for taking the time to review.  We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at our Airbnb.  We employ a top-knotch cleaner to thoroughly clean between guests and feel our vintage furniture adds to the charm of our cottage.  We will certainly take your feedback into consideration for future reservations."  Short, sweet, diplomatic, and future guests will be able to see you are professional.

Well, phooey! Thanks for the feedback. Wish I'd asked sooner. I was quite shocked at the time. Especially since I was in direct communication with her throughout her stay and could've directed her to blankets or had people deliver support. Wish I'd done what you said. Any other advice? Do you know if I can delete my comment?

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Marla8 "Is it possible to upload something from someone who is not a registered guest, but who has rented my house?"

Yes, here is how: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/173/what-are-references-on-airbnb

I recently got a review saying my house was a little outdated. The home is an older home but very clean and with a lot of new furniture.  I do have plans to make some changes to the colors of the walls and cabinets but this is all new to me and everyone thinks the house looks great. We are from a rural area and this home belonged to my mother and I grew up there so not ready to make a complete change to the entire home. I feel I offer everything to my guests they could possibly need and most of all cleanliness.  I don't feel updated decorations are completely necessary to be comfortable and safe in your surroundings.  What do you all think?