Inquiry confusion

Answered!
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Inquiry confusion

Hi Folks

I had a rather lengthy inquiry for a booking which I responded to in seconds, only to have the potential guest change their mind within hours, which to be frank seems very odd.

This was all handled using the IOS Airbnb application, I'm also an “Instant booking” Host.

My problem:

Now I’m getting reminders from Airbnb to either except or decline this booking when in fact no booking existed other than the original inquiry.

My Options: “Preapprove” or “Decline”

My Issue:

“Preapproval” is a nonsense as to paraphrase the potential guest they had changed their plans and no longer require a booking.

“Decline” is also a nonsense as they never booked in the first place and my worry is that it will be held against me by Airbnb or a least deducted from my allowable quota of declines.

I am also concerned it may also effect my response rating.

I absolutely cannot stand this sort of confusion particularly since I’m on “instant booking”

My Question:

What should I do?

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow.

1 Best Answer
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

In this instance you can do either. If you pre approve you know the guest will just ignore it. If you decline you get a chance to say why. Just say other.....the guest didn't want to proceed. Your ranking will not be effected. It will though if you do nothing. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

In this instance you can do either. If you pre approve you know the guest will just ignore it. If you decline you get a chance to say why. Just say other.....the guest didn't want to proceed. Your ranking will not be effected. It will though if you do nothing. 

@David-and-Fiona0@Are you sure Airbnb doesn't penalize us for rejecting those inquiries disguised as non serious reservations? I have heard here and there that it does and it is getting me worried since I have had at least three similar cases this past week. I wish Airbnb had a question button that came to us and we could just answer and separately a booking button for who is ready to do so. This whole thing is ridiculous and it is stressful at times because the guests don't want to cancel their inquiry (saying they didn't reserve at all, which proves my point of how confusing the language of things is in this software)

@David-and-Fiona0 In the majority of cases you don't wish to approve to them in order to easily wait until it is void after 24hrs, so the only choice is to reject the inquiry. I have had dozens of newbies asking if my place is available since they didn't have the option to select the dates they wanted!!! Obviously because they are already taken! So why should I risk accepting an inquiry for dates that they didn't want (they just used them in order to message me) and we are penalized for rejecting them. I just don't get it 

I am new to Airbnb and I have same concern as E&L from Mexico.  When (inexperienced or unscrupolous) guests reach out with a simple Q about dates and rates, I reply within an hour and then Guests disaprear without ever cancelling the inquiry...

***There are 3 options but will have the least negative or no impact on the Airbnb rating?***

1) do nothing -- appears to be a bad option, based on many host posts - hosts believe this results in downgrade of Airbnb ratings even it is the Guest who failed to respond to the last communication or cancel the inquiry

2) Decline -- David & Fiona in Panglao, Philippines

from Philipines suggested this approach

3) Pre-Approve -- many other hosts like Angielena in Seattle, WA suggest this option with a special offer to increase the price -- which is guaranteed to expire in 24 hours

Which is the least damaging action?  #2 or #3?

Lyn27
Level 2
Plymouth, MN

I have an inquiry regarding my guest suite reservation inquiry for the 2018 Super Bowl in Mpls. MN in Feb.2018.  They are a reputable Rotary Club Organization, having a drawing for tickets & 4 nights stay for the NFL Super Bowl event. The guest has asked for my phone # or email to contact me regarding andy questions regarding my suite. I had to pre-approve them so they could get my contact information. Why do I have to Pre-approve a guest for just an inquiry? How does Airbnb expect them to contact me without having a way to call me or email me. So, the guest has to book before Airbnb gives them my contact info? Why complicate things..? Just contact the potential guest with my email address & allow them to do a proper inquiry into what I can do for them. Speeds up the inquiry light years.  Simplify it for a more harmonious outcome.. :+)

Lyn, for your own protection, go through Airbnb platform. You don't know who you are dealing with althoug they say they are the Rotary Club. People can say anything. I don't approve or decline an inquiry, I just answer the question as best I can through the platform.