How does private messaging on the forums work?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How does private messaging on the forums work?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but I can't seem to figure this out. I have received private messages on the community forum and been able to respond to them (although I can't see my sent messages). However, when I try to create a new message to a forum user, I can't see a way to PM them from their own profile and when I try to enter their username into the address bar of the private message, it just says 'no users found'.

I coudn't find anything in the Help section or on other forum posts. Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

Many thanks.

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

HI @Huma0 🙂

first you have to be loged in the community forum

then hover with your mouse over someones profile picture and you will see two buttons; SEND MESSAGE and VIEW PROFILE

if you are not loged in then you will see just one button VIEW PROFILE

Your private messages you will see if you hover over your profile picture on the right upper corner , on drop down menu you will see: COMMUNITY PROFILE, INBOX and LOG OUT links

If you click on INBOX you will find all of your private messages you exchanged with other hosts

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

HI @Huma0 🙂

first you have to be loged in the community forum

then hover with your mouse over someones profile picture and you will see two buttons; SEND MESSAGE and VIEW PROFILE

if you are not loged in then you will see just one button VIEW PROFILE

Your private messages you will see if you hover over your profile picture on the right upper corner , on drop down menu you will see: COMMUNITY PROFILE, INBOX and LOG OUT links

If you click on INBOX you will find all of your private messages you exchanged with other hosts

Thanks @Branka-and-Silvia0. So sorry, very silly of me. I forgot how quickly one gets logged out even when you are clicking on stuff! Worked fine when I logged in right before trying. Thank you!

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great explanation @Branka-and-Silvia0 thank you! 

Even Lizzie and I sometimes think there's something wrong with the CC when actually the problem is just that we're not logged in, don't worry @Huma0 and @Jennifer178 - you're not alone!

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hello @Huma0,  about two hours ago I was able to hover my pointer over the poster's picture and get the option to view profile or send a message for most people like @Branka-and-Silvia0 said. Now there is no option to message at all.  I tried over about 20 photos. I have no idea what is going on. Maybe  a new Airbnb experiment.  Maybe they do not want hosts contacting each other privately.  Or it could be solar flares.

Jennifer

P.S.  I love your place!  Great colors in the bedrooms.  Just a ton of charm and personality.

@Jennifer178 even if you are loged in? Because if you are not then you will not have the option to contact someone through Comm. cent.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Jennifer178 for your lovely comments!

Glad also to know I was not the only one too tired to realise I was not logged in. It's weird though that I am able to start a thread when not logged in. A bit of an anomoly?

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hi @Huma0 and @Branka-and-Silvia0,  I need to take a nap!  I forgot then logged in part. This morning I was logged in and that was why I saw the message option.  Then I was not logged in and now I am again.  So of course the message option is there.  Sorry for being a goofball ladies.

🙂 take a nap

On my way!!!