How come the resolution ctr asks for a credit card to partially refund a guest?

Mindy17
Level 1
Easthampton, MA

How come the resolution ctr asks for a credit card to partially refund a guest?

I would like to refund a guest a small portion of their payment. How come it now asks for a credit card? When I did this a few months ago the process was different. Why can't it just be debited from our AirBnb account?

16 Replies 16
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Mindy17  I'm not sure and this is the first I've heard of Airbnb asking for a credit card.  I usually read they deduct the amount from your future payouts.  Could it be you don't have any future payouts coming?

That's why I'm confused. We have plenty of future payouts coming and when I did this a few months ago it didn't ask for a credit card. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm hoping someone else has a good answer. Thanks!

Gerald32
Level 1
United States

I'm curious too as we're in the same boat.  AirBNB wants us to refund with a credit card or Paypal, but we won't get our payout from AirBNB for months to cover it.

@Gerald32 , I used to also wonder a bit why  Airbnb would charge the  guest immediately but only forward the $$ to us hosts the first morning after the stay had commenced, which could be quite a while later. I now see the wisdom in it: if they didn't charge a guest right away, the guest could be clever and change or disable their method of payment as soon as the booking is confirmed, show up at your doorsteps, and only then would Airbnb try to charge? A nightmare if it doesn't go through smoothly. So it's only for our protection that the $$ are collected immediTely upon booking from the guest.

Likewise, it makes sense that Airbnb only forwards us our part of the pay when we Re actually hosting that person. If they forward that money way ahead of time, any host could jump ship, disappear, etc.... so that part is for their protection. It all works out very well this way.

@Mindy17   I saw another post asking the same.  Use Twitter Airbnb it gets fastest results. It could be a glitch.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mindy17

Could it be that some bright spark in Airbnb realised that they could save money by not financing these pay-outs from there working capital,

Airbnb Employee: "Hey boss, why don’t we just get these Hosts to pay immediately with their credit card and stop financing this out of our working capital”

Airbnb Boss: Capital idea you’ve just won employee of the month.

Airbnb Employee: What does that mean boss

Airbnb Boss: Nothing much, Mary.

I wouldn’t give the credit card number, without first reading the details as they may use it in future to make a payment you don’t agree with.

Kenix0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

This is really rediculous! 

I was trying to refund a guest who booked accidently and canceled right away. 

But Airbnb want to charge my PayPal account. 

Why I should be responsible for that? 

Anybody knows what's wrong? 

@Kenix0

If your guest cancelled, they will be refunded by airbnb, less the airbnb charges. If you are going to refund the charges, it will be out of your own pocket or out of your PayPal account. Hardly fair if they were responsible for the mistake.

It you cancelled on a guest, they will be refunded in full by airbnb and you will face the penalties.  

@Mindy17 @Annette33 @Daniel127 @Cormac0

Looks like airbnb has changed their policy regarding refunds; for various reasons I belive, but @Cormac0 has a good point.  

@Annette33 the difference between guest paying and host being paid is the airbnb working capital - one of their ways of making money.

Daniel127
Level 5
Barcelona, Spain

I got that message too so I just waited for Airbnb to call me.

I'm grappling with the same problem in trying to refund a guest. The message refund pane states at the top that the refund will be deducted from future payouts - which is the way it's always been done, but then below that there's a requirement for credit card details - very confusion and frustrating for both myself the host and the guest.

How did you manage to get a person at Airbnb to call you back? I've been trying to speak to a person for days.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Mindy17 , the only thing that makes sense is that Airbnb's request to submit a CC number to facilitate a refund concerns a PAST reservation, in other words you have gotten paid for it, Airbnb only withheld their portion of the service fee, and the guest's account shows zero balance. If Airbnb has no reserve anymore in that guest's account, why would they want to advance payment to the guest from their own funds when you are the one that decided to give the guest a refund? sounds like Airbnb did that in the past but just recently changed their policy on it.
From a purely finacial angle the new policy makes sense: to subtract that amount from a future payment to you, or what you call debiting your Airbnb account, is an iffy business proposition: you might cancel your account, never do another booking, or something else might come up., and Airbnb will never be able to recover that amount from you , so businesswise it makes perfect sense that Airbnb doesn't want to do that, it's like extending an unsecured loan to you.
But if the refund concerns a future booking and you haven't gotten paid for the guest's stay yet, then this request by Airbnb to submit your CC number makes no sense, as Airbnb is holding all the $$ for that booking and hasn't released them to you yet. but I don't see why a host would go to the resolution center for that, instead of simply going to "change reservation" and adjust the $$ amount that way. Maybe going to the resolution center is what created the problem, and then the "lets get the host's CC number" routine got triggered.
your scenario is different: the guest cancelled immediately, you have not received any payment from Airbnb. the refund situation is between Airbnb and the guest, you are not involved in that at all, you do NOTHING. But apparently you tried to do something, and then also, the "give us your CC number" routine got activated. Sorry, don't do anything!

sorry, the system  didn't let me edit my post above:

last paragraphis directed at @Kenix0 , like in "Kenix, your scenario is different.....

Warren22
Level 1
Kingston, Jamaica

My guest wants to leave early after staying 9 days out of 17. She wants to be refunded for the days she's not staying. What if I don't have the cash.? Does airbnb pay her? How do I pay airbnb etc

Is she entitled to a refund .?

@Warren22

You have a flexible cancellation policy, so yes, if she cancels, she will be refunded according to your policy.  She must cancel through the site and you do not need to do anything, airbnb handles all financial transactions.  https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#flexible