Host cancellation & refund

Isaac23
Level 1
Mexico City, Mexico

Host cancellation & refund

My host cancelled my reservation after we arrived because there was a problem with water pump that she couldnt repair. At 9pm (one hour after we arrived) she suggested that she would refund me and that I could get a Hotel. I decided to accept even though the cheapest hotel, at that moment, was double the price. (worst airbnb experience so far)

The thing is that she didn´t refund me full price. I paid $59 for the place and the refund was only $48. She insists that´s the refund airbnb allowed her to make, and that the remaining $11 are aribnb´s fee. I think it´s ridiculous that airbnb charge me those $11, but I can´t find where to complain and ask for a full refund. 

Is there anybody who can help me?

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

This is what is called an extenuating circumstance and can not be dealt with on line, host should have contacted ABB explained the situation and they would have made a full refund.

David

Hi Isaac,

Your host is correct that she refunded the full amount of the posted reservation cost. Airbnb adds a 12% fee on top of that which is usually non-refundable. Unless, as David has said, there are extenuating circumstances. He also says the host ought to have contacted Airbnb to arrange a full refund that included the 12%. If you haven't already done so, look at your reservation confirmation information for the contact number in your country and call them. Here is an additional contact resource

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/td-p/16165

Alternatively, you can message the host (provided you're still on talking terms) and ask her to contact Airbnb to arrange for the refund of the 12% guest-side fee per the extenuating circumstances exception.

I hope this helps, or that you've already received a refund.

Cheers,

Fiona

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

PS, I meant to include this piece of information: Hosts do not receive the full amount of the posted rate. We receive 97% of it; Airbnb deducts a 3% host-side fee before they send us the payout. In the end, Airbnb receives 12% which I support because they provide an incredible platform for travelers and hosts around the world.

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The host handled this incorrectly and let the guest down.

She should have called BNB and cancelled the booking and explained the situation to them, she could have asked them to consider it as extenuating circumstances.

BNB would have then put things in place to give the guest a full refund and offered them a small credit for the inconvenience  and helped them find alternative accommodation.

@Fiona0 the host was not correct. She should have let BNB deal with the cancellation and give the guest a full refund. Instead the poor guest ended up being shafted - had to find their own place and also BNB kept the service fee. 

It sounds like perhaps she didn't want to cancel in case she had penalties imposed against her.