Hidden fees of Airbnb

Yu13
Level 1
Paddington, Australia

Hidden fees of Airbnb

I have just reserved my first accommodation via Airbnb platform. It shows how the amount has been charged by stating currency rates and breakdown of the fees which are room price per night, cleaning fee and service fee. I am happy with the total price (AUD70) so I proceed to make payment by Amex credit card.

After the transaction has been completed, my credit card online statement shows that I have two transactions with Airbnb, with one was charged by Airbnb London (AUD70) while the other one was paid to Airbnb San Francisco (AUD1.31).

Airbnb never show me that I will be charged AUD1.31. I don't even know what was that for.

Through my spending experience in the past, I can only think of that being a credit card surcharge.

I do understand that some companies apply surchage on credit card's payment method. However, the difference between those companies and Airbnb is, they do show the surcharge percentage/surcharge amount before I proceed further while Airbnb does not!

Although it is not a big amount, with a consumer's perspective, I think Airbnb is not making things clear. Be aware, there are some hidden fees that you will never know.

13 Replies 13
Melanie115
Level 4
Washington, DC

The Airbnb Corporation is very sneaky. They, of course, are all about making money for themselves and really not us. I've just started being a host and am very unhappy with them.

@Melanie115

Your view is remarkably similar to many city council members in European and North American cities.

They don't trust these guys to honor agreements.

I will say that the activity of hosting good guests is a wonderful experience, and we're not primarily

motivated by money. A guest today just paid an extra 21% above our rate, to AirBnB. That is even more than

the onerous 20% that Booking.com gouges out of hotels.

It's getting ridiculous.

We are working with programmers now to create a better system for both hosts and guests. If people are decent,

there's no need for all this profiteering, and no need for all the automated impersonal systems.

More shortly.

Cheers,

@Dunny

Hey Melanie, I travel  a lot and I used to book a lot via AirBnB, until I discovered Aabode https://aabode.com/ which is an Australian booking platform with really good prices as they charge very little fees compared to other ones. One time I even found the exact same property as on AirBnB, but way cheaper on Aabode.

Here is also an interesting article I think from their blog : https://blog.aabode.com/2018/06/18/how-you-could-be-saving-over-900-on-holiday-accommodation/

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yu13

I think you are being unfair - AirBnB's fee's are very clear. There is a booking fee and there may be a currency exchange fee. As you say you are used to that from other transactions. 

If you think that the fee is incorrect or unfair then contact your credit card company and ask them to reverse the transactions for you.

I agree with @Gerry-And-Rashid0

If AirBnB is very clear like what you say, then why doesn't it explain what was the $1.31 for?

You assume that the $1.31 may be a currency exchange fee but you are wrong, because the currency exchange fee has already been included in the AUD70.

I never said that I am used to pay for unknown item.

Anyway, thank you for the advice that to contact my credit card company to reverse the transaction. Not sure if it works, but I will try.

Patrick22
Level 2
Kent, WA

as a host of 2 homes, and a guest frequently, I feel airbnb has gone overboard with fees.  ~13% on 3 recent reservations 2 days to 7 days.  we may be changing to vrbo as a host and as a guest.

Jeff-And-Cheryl0
Level 10
Sammamish, WA

@Yu13 

See this thread on the 3@ Conversion fee that airbnb hides very well.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Avoiding-the-Foreign-Transaction-Fee/m-p/475999/highlight/f...

Shak0
Level 1
Ann Arbor, MI

Yes, I've been charged $125.xx for my stay in Malaysia, which was explanined. However, after I moved in, I see 3 different charges for $12.xx, $5.80 & $5.62, whereas I haven't moved out yet!!! I asked the host about it and the reply was, "It's airbnb, don't know anything about it" !!! So, be very careful and keep an eye on your card while you enjoy your stay!!! I've got a couple of more trips coming up, where I will use airbnb for just one of it to make sure if it's a repeating activity!!! Good luck!!

Diego939
Level 1
Lausanne, Switzerland

Hey, I’m having a similar issue and I don’t manage to convince Airbnb that this is not fair. I’m my case it’s not just minor fees.  In Read More there was almost a full contract hidden on extra costs per person that are outrageous. The host is a company present in Switzerland and other alpine countries. It’s called Interhome, watch out! My reservation was 988.80 CHF and they asked me to check in extra 540 CHF of compulsory charges for cleaning and linen. It’s unbelievable that neither do I get to lower these charges nor to get my reservation refunded.

Russell12
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

I've noticed that Airbnb no longer shows me how much my guests are paying.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Russell12 

Where did you see it that you no longer see it?

KentandPaula0
Level 2
Franklin, PA

I am a host,  Recently tried to book a stay using airbnb. Got right to the "book this stay" stage and noticed the hidden fees so backed out. Now I'm wondering what airbnb is actually charging my guests. They are always recommending to me that I lower my nightly fee (I don't charge a cleaning fee or a service fee specifically because I don't like hidden fees) but it appears that they keep raising their hidden fees. Not a very good business model in my opinion.