Help - my calendar has been blocked by Airbnb

Iddo0
Level 1
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Help - my calendar has been blocked by Airbnb

I am new to the Airbnb site. I had an instant booking from a guest (though I do not remember being asked to approve this setting). The guest later in our conversation understood that I have pets in the house (though they are not going to be there when someone rents). He said his daughter is allergic and asked me to cancel so he wont have to pay and can continue his search.

I looked at the rules and saw that on the first cancellation you do not get a penalty, so I said to myself ok... first comers mistake.

But now i see AIrBnb blocked the whole two weeks that have been cancelled! -->  "To help avoid future cancellations, your calendar will stay blocked for the dates of the canceled reservation".

Now I can not rent out my house and this puts me in financial problems! They did not warn me of this!

I can not contact the site, so I do not know what to do, we worked hard for this.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Iddo0

Unfortunately it sounds like you haven't read through how airbnb works before letting your listing go live.

1. Firstly, remove instant book from your listing. 

2. Airbnb does make it quite clear that it takes host cancellations seriously and penalises them for doing so.

When you actually go into cancel your booking it tells you:-

Cancellation penalties

Canceling a guest's reservation can have serious implications on their trip, so penalties will be applied unless there is an extenuating circumstance.

And links you to this information

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-res...

So they did warn you of this.

3. If you have pets in your home regardless of whether they are there when a guest stays you need to mention it in your listing.

4. I wouldn't every recommend relying on airbnb for income as you can't be certain to always have bookings.

Why not give Airbnb a call now explain what happened and see if they might reconsider. If you have a situation like this. Always call Airbnb first don't cancel the booking yourself.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

The only penalty Airbnb will waive for a first-time cancellation is the monetary penalty.  The other penalties still apply.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I know you worked hard for this.

So now work a little harder and READ EVERYTHING.

There's a pull-down menu called HELP.

When you're done with that, go read up on your local laws governing short-term vacation rentals.

When you're done with THAT, go find out what the tax ramifications are for your city/state/country.

Until you've read every single thing there and completed every single tutorial, you're not ready for business.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Iddo0

Where does it say you get a first time freebie? I realise that the Help section is not laid out very well, I could not find it.

David