HELP - guest broke house rules HOW much is tolerable?

Ann151
Level 2
Missouri, United States

HELP - guest broke house rules HOW much is tolerable?

So, I'm new to Airbnb.  The group this weekend - five former wrestlers/wrestling coapches in town for NCAA Champoinships did not follow basic house rules.  They stayed in my home (I live here too) for four nights. During that time, I only saw them one time other than check in.  They left in the morning and came home drunk every night around 3:00 a.m.  They checked in very late - 1:30 a.m. and were intent on finding a 3:00 a.m. bar.  I went through the "orientation" but quite honestly, think they were more concerned about finding a bar.  I think most of their behavior is due to annebriation.

Aside from the noise and obvious disrespect for the living space (they had the entire third floor - about 800 square feet and bathroom access on 2nd and 3rd floors), my biggest issue is that they didn't lock the house on three occassions.  One day, I returned home from work to find the back door unlocked.  Twice, I woke in the morning to find the house had not been locked when they returned in the late evening. The door is on a key code pad - pressing the lock button when leaving engages the deadbolt.  Also, they are each give a code to re-enter - the four digit combination of the month and day of their birthday.  One set of back-up keys was given to the oldest member of the group.

They never turned on the home security alarm even though I go through the process with them and have instructions on the wall.

There are other more minor house rules that were not followed. They didn't use coasters and caused damage to a coffee table; left the bedroom doors open despite posted signs asking that bedroom doors be closed to prevent the cats from entering the sleeping areas. Vomit left in the toilet. Half full beer cans were left in the trash....some of this is typical guy stuff?  Who knows.

After leaving, a few wrote with thanks..."you are the best host...blah blah blah".  I'm not sure how to leave a negative review with tact. Maybe wait a few days when I can feel more removed from what feels so personnal.  Yes, after all, this is my home of which I am very proud and I'm not a daily housemaid who just happens to live here. I've never had guests who were so messy and left so much trash. Maybe it's just a shock as this is the first time hosting messy guests?

Aside from the mess, securing the house is a big deal to me; probably the one thing I felt was most disturbing. 

Suggestions:  Detail the security issue in the public review and then leave more details in a private review?  Also, I don't feel I can give this guests and his buddies a thumbs up given the neglect to lock the house.  The negative review will go on the profile of the man who booked the property; he may not have been the biggest offender.

Thoughts?  How to handle?

Thanks,

Ann

P.S....only silver lining.  Someone helped themselves to a large tube of skin care from my hall closet.  It wasn't lotion exactly - it was self tanner.  So, did he/they do this with intention of keeping their tan fresh or was it a mistake?  Maybe they are turning orange as I type.

4 Replies 4
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

LOL @ the tanning lotion thing.  I'm going to bet they had no idea it was self tanner and will have quite a surprise 24 hours after application.

A short review such as this might be a good starting point:

"So-and-so and his group of friends were a lively bunch to host.  We certainly hope they had a good time during their stay, but think they may be better suited for a hotel as opposed to a shared living environment."

Alex386
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Something similar happened to me. I suggest leaving a candid review and also sending them a private message to let them know about this feedback that is coming. Also, open a resolution request for the damage.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Ann151, I'm sorry this happened to you. I think you need to be diplomatic but honest in your review because a lot of hosts, like you, are proud of their places and don't need this sort of behaviour.

Most of my guests are pretty good at following the house rules. I message them asking them to confirm they have read the full listing and the house rules and agree to all of them before booking. Of course, this is not fail safe.

Recently, I had a few rule breakers. Firstly, someone smoking in the guest bedroom, as well as leaving lights on/taps running. He was a nice person though so I didn't mention it in the review, just in the private feedback.

Then I had guests smoking weed and having friends over without permission. These guests were really not so nice at all. I didn't mention the specifics in the review, but did say that a couple of important house rules were broken, and then went into more detail about this in the private feedback. I don't know if that is being too generous...

I think the first guest wasn't intentionally breaking the rules. There are areas on my property where smoking is allowed, so he might not have understood. He said he'd read the house rules, but I just think he was too lazy to actually read them!

The second guests, however, did read them, because they commented on a number of things written in there. Yet, they decided to completely disregard some of them, including using drugs, once they were here. Not cool. I actually wish I'd written a harsher review for them.

Hope your guest is turning orange as we speak!

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

1.  Inanimate objects, such as living spaces, cannot be disrespected.  This term is overly used on these forums and it makes no sense.

2.  "Orientation" is insulting to adults.  Unless you're a government employee.

3.  Were you robbed?

4.  Count your blessings.  You got paid, they left, they loved you, and vomit flushes easily.

If you're going to be an ABB host, you have to have a stomach for all this insanity.

Pick your battles and move on.