Guest arrived with a child when house rules state "not suitable for children"

Answered!

Guest arrived with a child when house rules state "not suitable for children"

Hi Community,

My guest and his 6 year old son have just left.  They had about 20 minutes in our tiny house before I returned to say I was not comfortable with having his 6 year old child in our tiny house.  The guest acknowledged that he had not read any of the house rules including where it state, "not suitable for children".  

It is an issue of safety.  There are many aspects of the our off-grid tiny house which require that a guest read the house rules including the need for physical agility and the ability to safely use a ladder & wood heater as well as recieving instruction on the use of a composting toilet and the reality of a gravity fed solar hot water system, namely, low water pressure. 

I felt uncomfortable asking them to go elsewhere when it was already 5PM.   But, I was more uncomfortable with a scenario where, if I were to ignore my own house rules and let them stay and something where to happen, like the child falls out of the loft and breaks his neck or worse, then I figure I'm liable since I allowed them to stay knowing they had not read any of the house rules.

My question: what's the cancellation policy for this.  Is he due his money back?

Thanks,

Fred

1 Best Answer
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Fred50

You handled it well, and technically, since your guests arrived but didn't stay they shouldn't be able to leave a review.

Not all helpdeskers are well enough informed, sometimes helps to call again if something doesn't go quite well enough with how things are handled...

A tip for the future re. the kids issue:

While we turn on the "Not suitable for children" button - nice clear, definite language!

Airbnb turns it into a soft "May not be safe or suitable for children" - completely misunderstandable which is why some parents decide to take the risk.

What you have to do is mention underneath in your written house rules that it's "Not-childproofed and not safe for children" which is nice, clear, definite language. I've read that saying an accommodation is "not suitable" for children can get you in trouble in the US, but saying it's not safe/not child-proof is stating facts.

Guests are known to not read, so before accepting a request or on answering an inquiry my reaction back  always includes asking if they've read the particulars of my listing/house rules and whether they have any questions. I also mention the 'weaker' points to make sure that wishful thinking hasn\t taken over. That helps take away the thunder of commenting later about stairs or whatever.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

I just initiated a refund for this would-be guest after speaking with Airbnb.  I'm new and just learned that people can give a review without me writing a review of them.  Just don't want a bad review based on this.  Not worth it.

You did the right thing @Fred50

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Good thinking Fred!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Fred50

You handled it well, and technically, since your guests arrived but didn't stay they shouldn't be able to leave a review.

Not all helpdeskers are well enough informed, sometimes helps to call again if something doesn't go quite well enough with how things are handled...

A tip for the future re. the kids issue:

While we turn on the "Not suitable for children" button - nice clear, definite language!

Airbnb turns it into a soft "May not be safe or suitable for children" - completely misunderstandable which is why some parents decide to take the risk.

What you have to do is mention underneath in your written house rules that it's "Not-childproofed and not safe for children" which is nice, clear, definite language. I've read that saying an accommodation is "not suitable" for children can get you in trouble in the US, but saying it's not safe/not child-proof is stating facts.

Guests are known to not read, so before accepting a request or on answering an inquiry my reaction back  always includes asking if they've read the particulars of my listing/house rules and whether they have any questions. I also mention the 'weaker' points to make sure that wishful thinking hasn\t taken over. That helps take away the thunder of commenting later about stairs or whatever.

Thanks for your comment. 

Honestly, I've found the processes and procedures of Airbnb rather opaque (not readily readable & knowable) until you run afoul of them.  Case in point, a simple questions: "When is a guest entitled to right a reveiw?"   Your answer, while I like it, does challenge the information I got at the time, from Airbnb themselves.  As a result, because I can't afford a negative review at this early stage, I've change how I allow bookings.

Much like what you suggested: I changed from having "Instant Booking" and now ask prospective guests if they understand about their being ladders, a composting toilet, etc.  Also, I put in changed the listing regarding children to state explicitly that it's "not suitable" for children, but I like your words better.  "Unsafe", to alleviate any doubt.

Thanks for your response.

Hello All, unfortunately for us a guest did show up with his wife, their two adolescent daughters and their two infants. We did not ask them to leave but did make it clear we are not childproof. End result for us was a horrible star review pulling our ratings down. While we can not make everyone happy, we sure do try. We too have added additional language regarding children. @Fred Thank you for posting and we wish you all the best with your new Airbnb.  

Mich2
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

So to get a grasp on this, we are not allowed to say No kids? I have it listed same as not safe for children under 12 yrs of age due to liability and having my puppy in house she is only 3 mos old and nips -to play and teething.. that being said my one listing is also 1 room with a queen bed, no space for 3rd or child yet I've had someone book with a young child it went ok and now I have some book today with 2 adults and a 6 yr old in 1 bed which is not even exceptable per state law.  It's only 1 night however she just messaged me stating they are 3 persons and only booked it as 2.  Do I say anything for the 1 night or ignore it.

Why are they able to even instant book with children with a not suitable for kids listing. 

Thank you in advance