Guest Offers Less

Marj3
Level 1
Portland, OR

Guest Offers Less

How does a guest offer less than what is on my calendar for a booking?  My rates are $100 for the days leading up to Christmas and $115 over the weekend.  She is proposing to pay $90 per night.

thanks.

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi - is your guest making you an offer to take the place at a discounted rate, and you are happy with that? If so, then ask the guest to book at the existing rate. Once they have booked you can amend the reservation details to reflect the lower price, and you guest will get an email asking them to accept the new price. 

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Marj3 I have regretted accepting almost all my past guests who proposed a discount. They tended to be the most demanding, the most annoying, and constantly expected Waldorf level service from me as as THEIR host. After I learned this lesson, (and it took me a few times to realize this was a trend),  I now decline every guest that asks for a discount. No fuss no muss. Usually a polite message that states "I am sorry but I do not offer discounts. However airbnb has thousands of listings that fit every budget. Best of luck on your airbnb stay."  Followed by my decline. But perhaps you'll have better luck. 

While I certainly understand that $10 means a lot to some, it also means they can't afford to stay in your home. There are listings for $90. I think the problem with bargaining guests is that if $10 or whatever is that important to the postential guest,  the $90 they pay is EVEN more important and they need to be certain that they will be getting their $90 a night worth out of their stay in your home. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Marj3

As both @Gerry-And-Rashid0 and @Ephraim0 say accepting this guest probably won't give you a good experience and most probably even a less than excellent review.

Here's an article I've referrenced discount inquirers or those with no real profile to, though I quoted the salient part since the software will scramble the link. If anything, it put me in a better mood 😉

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/01/18/dear-would-be-airbnb-guests-heres-why-hosts-keep-t...