Does anyone know how long the Airbnb "prison term" is for cancelling a Guest ONE time?

Diane15
Level 6
Spokane, WA

Does anyone know how long the Airbnb "prison term" is for cancelling a Guest ONE time?

Here are the sorted details of my "crime"...I accepted a group based on the person requesting the reservation, no reviews, but she seemed harmless enough. Then when I received her last name and checked her out on social media, I didn't feel comfortable (touting drugs, husband appeared to be in a gang, etc.) having that group on my property (especially with young kids around), so I cancelled. It's been almost 9 months and I'm STILL in prision for this "crime". I can't get Super Host status because of this ONE time cancellation. I even called Airbnb and spoke with them about how cancelling the Guests ( 2 MONTHS before their arrival date, btw) would affect my SuperHosts status BEFORE I cancelled them . The girl I spoke with said they would "make an exception" this one time..... Ok, that turned out not to be true.

When I called recently, to ask how long my punishment lasts, she couldn't answer me....just keep saying I'd have to "wait and see" at every 3 month assessment evalution.

Anyone have any idea how long it lasts?....A year, 2 years, eternity?

Thanks Airbnb Community!

Sighed,

Lost in Airbnb purgatory in the Pacific Northwest.

12 Replies 12
Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

It is my experience that Airbnb helpdesk people will offer to send me an email with a summery of our call including possible next steps. If they don't offer this, it might be a good idea to ask them for it.

To answer your question, I don't know, but it can't be over 1 year I guess since Airbnb states that you won't be able to become a super host for a year. Then the counters are being reset.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

One year - plus a public flogging

@Diane15

You are 'punished' from being eligible for SH status for a whole year. Now what I don't know exactly is whether you can start building up your credits for SH from that point or whether - if you have the necessary stats by then - could become SH at the next assessment following right after.

Next time a crime lord and his lady booked with you, call Airbnb first and have them undo the reservation.

The system is not really that host-friendly, but if you know how to use it, it works. So better next time!

@Andrea9 Honestly, I didn't know Airbnb could cancel....I did call first before I cancelled the Guests.

And you're 100% correct, this site is not Host friendly, they definetly give the advantage to Guests for sure. But I do most of my bookings through other sites anyway. They have 0 say about ANY bookings I do.... I can cancel everyday if I want. That stated, I've only done it once (when we had a storm and the electricity went out)

But still...when you've worked so hard (and put so much money in trying to be a "cut above" and receive 5 stars for most bookings, only to be cut down at the knees because of ONE cancellation, it's disheartening, really). 

Sure wish Airbnb and wouldn't be so hard on the Hosts....not a very friendly "work place environment" to be sure!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Diane15

When calling ABB in such a case to get a reservation annulled, there's no rule cut in stone, however.

You make sure you really let them know how worried you are about having a criminal or whatever problem guest in your house and that you are extremely uncomfortable about hosting them yaddayadda. 

I've never had to do it myself, but have been on this forum from the start (I know, get a life!) and it's helped me see other host who've been successful having this done. 

And I know what you mean about going over and above and being 'rewarded' with a suckerpunch.

Just lost my long-standing track record of Superhost due to insufficient reviews because some guests don't feel like leaving a review and no review gets the points down  😞

Hope you grow back fast from your harsh trimming down!

@Andrea9   You crack me up Andrea.  hey, sent you a private message. Airbnb emailed it to you. Hope you get it soon.  You are one of the few hosts that is still awake when I am awake in Hawaii....LOL.   Wanna Skype soon? 😉

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Momi0 haha, funny, sounds nice Skyping!

Haven't got the message yet... never done it thru the system, so don't know how long it will take. Am assuming it will be with one of those hidden addresses given for guests?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Momi0

No message arrived and can't find how to message you although I thought I saw it this morning - mysterious disappearances...

@Andrea9 

I knew something had to be wrong, because I had sent 4 people (including you)  a private message (in the last 3 days)  and none of them wrote me back, which  VERY odd because every person in previous weeks and months who've gotten a private message from me, always wrote me back thanking me for the individual attention help I gave them in my private message.  I also offered my phone number, Skype, and Instagram. And each one of them have used one of these contact venues to continue reaching me.  Now I know why you didn't add me on Skype....plus I also noticed I am having some issues on the Airbnb app with messages.  Hope its fixed today, but I will try sending you another message again through the PM feature.  (Dont' forget to be logged in, or you wont' see that feature).  

Thanks for writing me again.   

I am currently helping 2 hosts in Hawaii (one is new and other has been a host for a year), but both feel they could learn alot from me. Since there was no one to guide me along,  I am taking upon myself to help the local hosts in my area.  Plus make a few new friends. One is buying me a coffee tomorrow because she appreciates all that i did to help her understand how Airbnb Special Offer & Resolution works. 

Do you have Instagram or Twitter?  You can find me by remembering that my name will be VERY helpful.  Plus I am the only Momi who is an Airbnb Superhost on Instagram...makes it easier.  LOL 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Momi0

Maybe that's why I can't even find the 'message' option anymore...

I'm always logged into ABB, but not SKYPE. And don't use Instagram or Twitter (spending far too much time online anyway!).

Let's see if this gets remedied in the next few days. If not we'll find another way.

You know, it just occurred to me that my Dashboard or message inbox told me a message was waiting but couldn't detect anything, and since that area is often a bit slow to reality, didn't think much of it. That was about 5hrs ago though.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 1 year punishment and a public flogging, eh ?.... Heck I was worried they were going to brand me with a scarlet letter "C" on my forehead. (The shame I must be bringing my family must be unbearable to them....Thanks guys 😉

It took me a calendar year after cancelling (because I felt uncomfortable after googling a guest) but I now have super host status. The lesson I learned was to check people out first. I let some reservations go by now (which as a new host I did not do.) After a year of hosting I now only accept guests with at least two reviews, a photo, and profile. I also email them (before accept resrevation) to ask about their 'plans while visiting my city' to get a sense of their intineary and their basic manners towards me. Those who do not answer, or give me vague info, don't get accepted.       

I also need to say that ALL of my communication with airbnb help desk has been positive. They have always been fair - even when I didn't always get what I asked (like a negative review removed) and  always followed up with an email the next day making sure I was satisfied and inviting me to continue the conversation if i wasn't. As a host - I have felt extremely supported. 

One other thing  I learned was to not respond emotionaly to the few negative reviews I have received.  I try to spin it into a positive message in my public response (ie: "I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I wish you had told me while you were here so I could have done everything possible to make sure you were satisfied." Bad reviews eventually get buried among all the good ones if I dont make a big deal about defending myself. I also hope all hosts leave an honest review of bad guest (as opposed to not saying anything because it feels bad to do so.)  I have found the best review for a bad guests is "Unfortunatley I cannot recommend this guest and feel they woudl be better suited to staying in a hotel."  Thats enough of a message for other hosts : ) 

Cheers, Sue