Difficult guest

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Difficult guest

After hosting over 60 guests that all love me little flat and working so hard to always make everyting perfect and soiling my guests yesterday I had a guest check in who completly "lost it" and wanted me to cancel his booking within an hour of his arrival because one of the bike tyres on the push bikes we provide was flat and even though we provide a bike pump he did not know how to use it.

Our flat is always immacuatly clean and as we are in Queeensland Australia and it is summer sadly 2 garden cockroaches had flown in and were dead and he is loosing it. They are dead because our pest control is up to date and works. They fly in from the garden we cannot do much about it in Queesland in a hot summer

Our caretaker in the area got round to him within 5 min and replaced the bike for him and explained about the garden cockroches and showed him the up to date pest control certificate that is in the kitchen cupboard

He seems to have calmed down now and my husband is driving 2 hours today to the flat to make sure he is happy.

My other problem with this guest is also that my caretaker reported to me that this guest is a smoker and was smoking on the property when we have very strict non smoking house rules

I do not know what to do if he continues to carry on and I think it is only because he wants to book somewhere else and is nothing to do with our flat. All our other guests have loved the flat and we actually have two Airbnb units now and our last guest says I am the best host she has ever had

I have worked so so hard to be now be ready to recieve superhost this April and I do not want my hard work to re taken away from me by one guest that is totally unreasonble and is clearly breaking my house rules

Can anyone help me please. I have had over 60 guests love me and my two Airbnbs and I have worked too hard to have superhost taken away

Sue

16 Replies 16
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sue185

HE didn't know how to use bike pump? Omg... where is this world going.... (rolling my eyes)

He is smoking = he is violating your house rules. I think you can contact Airbnb and cancel the reservation on that ground. Worth trying. If booking is canceled than he can not give you bad review, and he should not get any refund because he violated your house rules.

Thank you Branka and Silvia I have had very little sleep over this guest. I
have worked so very hard to make both my Airbnb's perfect and spoil my
guest rotten. I have  one in one unit raving all over social media about
how my unit is the most perfect place he has ever stayed in and never wants
to leave and then this guy loosing it over a flat bike tyre and two dead
cockroaches in Queensland in Summer
I have worked so hard to guest superhost rating for this April I will be
devastated to not get it because of this one guest
I have a guest arriving in a few weeks I know has cancer and is celebrating
his 50th birthday while he is with us. I have spent more than 2 nights of
his stay on gifts and special passes for his stay and this guy is wanting
to leave because of a flat bike tyre
it makes me sad

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Do you want him to go? If so contact AirBnB and see if they will relocate him.

David
Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

I will wait and see how my husband goes with him today

its just so hard to contact Airbnb and I do not want a bad review from him and he is breaking my house rules by smoking

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Hi I do need him to leave he is clearly breaking my house rules and now it complaining about more things just so I will cancel on him. I cannot find anywhere how I can contact Airbnb. How to I contact them about this guest?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Sue185

Yes, call ABB now. Also remember that it's advisalble to keep a recap of off-line conversations and situations (what they said/wanted, what you suggested/did) on the booking message page as a record of proof. In controversy ABB will consult this to see what happened beforehand as to in how far a guest refund is to be honored.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Sue185

Go to the HOSTS forum on CC and in the first post there is a link to all important data a host should have/know including contact.

Then keep the no. on speed dial.

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Hi Adrea Yes I have all the conversations with this guest and what we have done to try and help him in the messages

The only thing that is not in the messages is that he is smoking on my property that was observed by my caretaker

I will try and find how to contact Airbnb with your instuctions

Thank you

@Sue185 I usually contact them on https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us page, scroll down until you find a link : "my question is about something else" they respond in 6 hours cca.

or find "Airbnbhelp" on twitter and message them. They respond in 2 hours cca.

But, (this is just my opinion) maybe you shouldnt try so hard to please your guests because not everyone will appreciate it, some of your guests will be rude etc... you will burn out soon 😞

It's just bussiness...

Thank you so much

I do not twitter but after this guest I am going to learn how too

your advise has been really helpful thank you for your support I really apprichate it

I have never had a guest this difficult to deal with when we offer so much

Most people are fine but some are not and you bump into them every now and then.

As was said, just business.

David

Thank you again you have been so helpful. I have managed to get an email away to Airbnb explaining the situation and what has happened so far. hopefully my husband can get it all sorted out tonight when he arrives on the property

I just do not want a guest getting away with a free trip with making up complaints that are not justified or warrented and I dont want one guest like this to ruin all my hard work

thanks again

Sue

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sue185 try to communicate with the guest re the smoking and that it is breaking your house rules via the airbnb messaging system also, so that there is a record of that too.

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

yes I intend to when my husband talks to him tonight I want to be able to confirm conversation my husband has with him via messages so it is on the record

My hubby cannot get there fast enough as far as I am concerned