Customer initated cancellations earned me a warning email from airbnb

Anna-and-Peter1
Level 2
Port Townsend, WA

Customer initated cancellations earned me a warning email from airbnb

A customer booked for next weekend and called a week prior saying his wife and 5 year old son would be joining him. Our space is not kid friendly, 20 steps to the loft and a propane fireplace that is not screened. I agreed to accept his cancellation which he promptly sent and which I accepted. Airbnb is treating it as if I initiated the cancellation and sent me a warning email as if I did something wrong.

First, how the heck do I get in touch with Airbnb to discuss this via email????

Second, how much of a threat is this and do others accept customer initiated cancellations without it appearing to be the host canceling?

Cheers.

1 Reply 1
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Unfortunately, @Anna-and-Peter1, you committed an error, which happens occasionnaly to newer hosts. The guest didnot cancel himself, but sent you an invitation, that you cancel. (No idea, why such a crazy feature even exists). The system treats you with all the penalties, that you encour, if you cancel on your own. 

In such cases, you better refuse the invitation and tell the guest to either cancel himself, or he will not get access, if more people show up, and pay nevertheless. If you offered refund, you can grant that, when the cancellation arrives. However, the guest will pay the airbnb charges.

Now, that it is done, you need to contact airbnb and if the conversation is on the message thread, they should remove the penalties. 

If you search "contact airbnb" in the community center search box, you'll find a guide made by fellow hosts, how to contact them from your country.

Good luck