Changing checkout date/Refund

Changing checkout date/Refund

Guests booked my unit for 89 days. Nothing but complaints, some justified some not. The wife is a germophobe according to husband and no matter how clean, it will never be clean enough. They are the 3rd group to rent this house and the previous two was just for the weekend so they didn't use the dresser or kitchen much. 

The check in date was same day as check out date so unable to find a cleaning person, I had to clean myself which I admit I'm not good at it.  Guests complained floor not clean enough, dresser, silverware, toilet, oven etc. Husband arrived about 1pm (2 hours before published  check in time)and chatting with me, causing some distraction.

They didn't like the memory foam bed mattress, so I brought over a used mattress from another property and they refused it. So I then bought a brand new mattress for them. They had new complaints every day... Finally, exasperated, I offered to let them out of the contract and they could leave early if they were so unhappy and they will vacate in a couple of days.

If I change the booking leave date the system changes the pricing to the weekly rate so they'd only get a couple hundred back. I bet they will complain about that.

Will changing the booking date affect my status with Airbnb?

Will Airbnb block out the remaining term of about 75 days like they do on a cancellation?

I'm sure I will get a bad rating from them with this kind of dispute.

This is a bad experience for both of us so I thought that by offering the option  to release them from their stay would be best for all concerned... What do you think?

1 Reply 1

IMO, you should make the guests initiate the reservation change.  Then they will be beholden to the long-term cancellation policy and you will look like a hero refunding them more money than they would receive from Airbnb.  If they cancel, they will not be able to review you nor you them, so no worry there.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/286/can-a-guest-alter-or-cancel-a-long-term-reservation