Cancellation & Refund

Shading-Blue0
Level 1
Athens, Greece

Cancellation & Refund

Dear Airbnb community,

Yesterday a guest insta-booked my apartment for Feb 12 and cancelled after a few hours. The reason he cancelled was that the dates which he would visit my city changed and he couldnt book with me for another date as my apartment was fully booked. After cancelling he used airbnb's feature 'ask for a refund'. My cancellation policy is 'strict'. My question is whether I am required to refund the money or face a penalty, or since my cancellation policy is strict and the guest knew beforehand, whether declining the refund request is within my rights.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question!

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Shading-Blue0

It is up to you if you want to give anything else back or not, some Hosts will if they get another booking.

David
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

If they booked and cancelled within in a few hours, do the decent thing and refund in full.

They haven't really deprived you of anything, and put yourself in the guest shoes for a moment.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Shading-Blue0

It's up to you - however personally it would seem unfair to take the guest's money based on that mistake.

But....make sure you actually receive payment before making any refund. 

If you wish, you can tell the guest that you will refund some/all (or none) of his money once you receive the payment. Or you can say you will refund any nights you re-sell.

Hi my client hat to cancel.  How does he gets a full refund. His reservation was 6 week in advace.