Canceling booking with strict cancellation 60 days in advance - can I get a full refund?

Juuso-Ville0
Level 1
Tampere, Finland

Canceling booking with strict cancellation 60 days in advance - can I get a full refund?

I recently made booking for 7 days at a hotel. I must now, however, cancel my booking due to unforeseen changes in plans. The host has a strict cancelling policy. If I cancel over 60 days before the date can I get a full refund? The host is a hotel so they should have no problem getting guests to fill those nights I cancel. I understand the strict policy when cancelling like a week in advance, but what about over 60 days, that is more than two months before. Is it possible to get a refund in this situation?

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Juuso-Ville0

Strict: 50% refund up until 1 week prior to arrival, except fees

Cleaning fees are always refunded if the guest did not check in.
The Airbnb service fee is non-refundable.
Accommodation fees (the total nightly rate you're charged) are refundable in certain circumstances as outlined below.
If there is a complaint from either party, notice must be given to Airbnb within 24 hours of check-in.
Airbnb will mediate when necessary, and has the final say in all disputes.
A reservation is officially cancelled when the guest clicks the cancellation button on the cancellation confirmation page, which they can find in Dashboard > Your Trips > Change or Cancel.
Cancellation policies may be superseded by the Guest Refund Policy, extenuating circumstances, or cancellations by Airbnb for any other reason permitted under the Terms of Service. Please review these exceptions.
Applicable taxes will be retained and remitted.

Thank you for your response. I understand the instructions, but I don't understand what a "strict 50% up until 1 week" policy means in practice? I would, however, be cancelling over 8 weeks in advance, and the reason is that the description does not mention location at all. I found out later that the room is located in an area consider by many sources as the worst and most dangerous neighbourhoods of the city I am planning to visit. Description claims that it is good for families, but this seems highly unlikely everything considered. I'm totally fine with losing the airbnb fee, but not with losing 50% of the actual sum. 

Also, If I am not checking in at all, how can I try to get the rest of my money back after cancelling?

Unfortunately if your reservation was booked with a Strict cancellation policy, you would only be refunded 50% of your reservations fee + 100% of the cleaning fee (if applicable).  Since you are cancelling so far in advance, you could message your host and see if they would be willing to refund you the remaining 50% if they are able to rebook the listing during that period?  Some hosts are willing to do this and others aren't.

Hello I am in a  similar situation. i cancelled 1 month in advance and the host tells me she has refunded me in full - except for airbnb fees  but i only was refunded half and this is the amount that was shown when i cancelled. the host tells me to take it up with airbnb because she has agreed on full refund. How ot get Airbnb to intervene ?

Marie

@Marie393  You should have a phone number to Contact Airbnb on your original reservation.