Calendar sync problem

Elsa-Björg0
Level 2
Reykjavík, Iceland

Calendar sync problem

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with Airbnb and HomeAway sync.

It's always worked out but now it shows me this on HomeAway:

"Airbnb has not been able to sync for more than 72 hours. The URL may have changed or the service may be down."

Can anyone help? I do not want people to double book 😞

I've compared the calendars and they do not show the same results so I am nervous about this.

With thanks in advance,

Elsa

94 Replies 94

Still have issues on all 4 properties.. terrible! 

Joanna14
Level 2
Annan, United Kingdom

I too have noticed this problem and await a resolution eagerly.

Its amazingly "Gung Ho!"  that Airbnb would consider making such a change to it's calendar format in it's live system without testing it fully!!!! This can't be the only problem though as when I refresh the calendar feed in HomeAway it syncs fine (I must just be lucky?) so maybe not the formatting of the iCal? All other calendars imported into HomeAway are working fine. I'm also listed on HolidayLettings (TripAdvisor) and although there are no error messages in it's calendar import facility there are signs that things are not completely right. The Airbnb calendars are indicating that they have not been updated since 20:00 yesterday (this post written at 13:15) whilst 2 other (non Airbnb) imported calendars (the second of them being the HomeAway calendar) were synced much more recently (10:47 and 13:13 respectively). Manually syncing the Airbnb calendar seemed to work fine with no errors, but then I don't know a few things about the HolidayLettings ical sync frequency or whether they indicate errors to hosts in their web interface.

What's even more amazing is that, this problem with it's potentially very costly implications through double bookings hasn't been notified by Airbnb to all hosts worldwide...!? This is potentially a very big problem. if a lot of Airbnb hosts get double booked due to it and Airbnb don't even let their hosts know even though they know they have a problem could at the very least give rise to a lot of hosts leaving the Airbnb platform as it is too unreliable and at the worst open Airbnb up to compensation claims.

Better to know that there's a problem and be able to deal with it by manually blocking out Airbnb booked dates in other systems than to discover you have a double booking with all the problems that leads to.

Airbnb need to be more professional about this and if any Airbnb reps are listening as I know they are to this particular thread then they need to do something about this...

having same problems...just tried to re-sync with HomeAway calendar, but no success.  Same error message that all of you have mentioned. Hope the problem is resolved soon.

Jack

They are currently syncing:)

Edwina5
Level 2
Singapore

I too am experiencing the same problem over the past couple of days.  I have had a cancellation that is not syncing and prevents me rebooking a peak period of the ski season.  Very frustrating.

Before I found this thread this evening I spoke to HomeAway on the phone (rather nice to be able to speak to an actual human!!).  He said it was a known issue and suggested deleting the Airbnb and manually updating my Airbnb reservations by blocking my HomeAway calendar.

I certainly hope this is fixed soon.  

Airbnb certainly isn't getting a 5 on communication!!!!

Syncing does not work in real time so it would not stop double booking.

To be fair ABB do stress that you need to make sure your calendar is up to date. Not doing so is not an extenuating circumstance.

David

I HAVE A GOOD WORK AROUND!

While importing into Google Calendar and then Explorting it creates a new URL,  VRBO/Homeaway doesnt mark dates as booked. However, when doing same thing through Yahoo Calendar works.

Here are the steps:

1. Paste the AirBNB calendar into your browser - that will trigger an ICS file download

2. Open Yahoo calendar (sign in / sign up if you have to)

3. Click + Next to "My Calendars" and add the new calendar "AirBNB" (or any other name)

4. Click arrow next to AirBNB and select IMPORT and point to the ICS file you previously downloaded. Your bookings will be imported

5. Click arrow next to AirBNB and select Share. Make sure to select "Enable My Public Calendar" and "Generate Links".

6. Copy the ICS link and import into VRBO. 

it works!!!!

the above process will require Step #1 and Step #4 to be completed after each new entry..

Hope to hear back some success stories!

Gene

Marc156
Level 3
Surat Thani, Thailand

Problem with this work around is that it's not automatically updated. ie you have to do the entire process every time your calendar in ABB changes. Probably not viable for most.

But I found another workaround via Sync Rentals http://www.sync.rentals

You can import ABB (or any other platform) calendar there and then export the sync.rental calendar into VRBO (or any other platform). I just tried it and it works. You can also let sync.rental syncronize all your various calenadars. It's free for up to 4 properties. Cheers

Thank you.  Currently, it seems to be syncing okay - yeah!

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Chavonne0 for confirming that it's working! It's really useful for everyone to see 🙂

I've tried this to import to VRBO as an easier option than re-entering all the reservation. I get to the last step and VRBO tells me "This value should be a valid url." It looks like valid url, I made sure it was the ICS and copied completely. Any suggestions?

Melissa

It's currently working:)

StayCotswold0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I have been having the same issue with Air Bnb and HomeAway.

I have spoken to HomeAway and this is an issue with Air Bnb - it looks like they have made a change to their calendar and it now has sync issues. HomeAway are aware of this and i have been told to try and sync the calendars in 2/3 days time when the problem should be resolved.

They have said as it is not their issue that everyone should contact Air Bnb to find out more.

I have tried to do this but getting hold of them have been a nightmare!!! 

Anyone got any further than i have??

Yep... same issue here.  My Airbnb cal stopped syncing with VRBO.  I tried deleting it to re-import it (bad decision!) and am now receiving the error that there is a problem with the import.  None of my Airbnb reservations are showing on VRBO which is a HUGE problem.  I'm going to try the sync rentals site that someone recommended or Yahoo calendars.  What a nightmare.  I've been receiving instant bookings and have had to cancel them.  

It's currently working:)