Brisbane council permits

Brisbane council permits

Hi everyone,

We have a unit in Brisbane that we would love to host out.  We are doing our research and have so far had the ok from the insurers and the body corporate.  However, the Brisbane City council requires us to apply for a "short term accommodation permit"as it is not a "home based business". This permit will cost approxiamtely $5000!  And the council have requested that we get a town planner to draw up the application.  Our question is....is there anyway around this? 

54 Replies 54
Jennie0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Andrew and Jackie, my understanding is that you do need to be living in the place for the Brisbane City Council to class it as a home based business.  I'm not aware of any way around this issue if you aren't living there unfortunately.

Julia336
Level 1
Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

I was wondering if you found any definite answers regarding your place in Brisbane? My partner and I are looking to make our home available part-time as we work away 50% of the year, and I am a bit confused about the BCC's rules.

Cheers,

Julz

Hi Julia, this tool is the easiest way to find out if you're going to meet the BCC requirements to be classed as a home-based business.  It's a pretty quick self-assessment tool.  

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1723885/Home-based-business-self-assessable-checklist

Cheers, Jennie

Hi Jennie

You seem to know alot of what is going on in brissie!
I have an air bnb up there (2 years so far) in sth brissie and it has been very successful.

I live in sydney and come up and down for work up there so put on air bnb to cover costs and enable me to come and go vs long term ..

I have also had QPac use it for aladdin members this year for 5 months - so i have a mix going on.

In the last 24 hours i have been told by my cleaner that she found 2 cards from BCC asking for me to contact them.

These were left at the door - while she was there actually - and looks like a ‘complicance officer’

Building manager knew nothing of this and thinks someone in building not happy (must be in BC to allow access to that level) and made complaint to BCC.

My unit is super busy and i am nervous and anxious of sudden horror spot fine or desist order.

Air bnb not much help but only suggested cancel bookings coming up!

I have put listing on snooze...

I tried self assessment form and Building manager (who lives in building) says he is happy to manage the unit for a little cash, so if he manages it as a resident and there is no extra noise above normal use then i think i meet the criteria for home based bed n b... i provide basic stuff for Bkfast anyway....

What do you think? Have you heard any other things happening like this? Sounds like the whole building could apply for the short term ruling and town planners are happy to assist in that....

Janine

Jayesh0
Level 10
Urangan, Australia

@Andrew-and-Jackie0

The only thing I can think of is if the unit is 2 bedrooms you could find a co-host who lives there permanently.  They would become the "resident host" which should then allow you to fall into the classification of a home based business which looks like it would avoid some of the permits and fees.  

You may find someone who would like to live onsite and take care of the breakfast provisions and cleaning duties and share in a portion of the profit of hosting.  Might be nice to count on a 50% market rate on rent guaranteed and then split the extra duties and payout as you wish.  Hard to say if this is viable without knowing the fee for the home based business or your hosting expectations.

Saw on the news last night that Brisbane has such high vacancy rates at the moment they are offering 20-30% off normal rents, gym memberships and any kind of incentive to get apartments rented.  Maybe it has something to do with this massive fee which does not even include the town planner charges which can be quite pricey too!  If you are saving $5,000 - $6,500 for the year right off the bat, may be something to consider anyway.

Best of luck to you, Lisa 

Has anyone successfully succeeded in this process with Brisbane City Council?

Did you decide you were a home based business or not?

Hi Steve, yes I used the self-assessment tool and felt confident that I met the criteria for home based business - been successfully doing so for 18 months now

Brisbane City Council published the following updated advice about short term accommodation in July 2017.

It is still a bit of a minefield (in my opinion) but the Council Planners are very helpful. It is a question of fact and degree for most people and most situations. Just make sure you have the correct and adequate insurance cover; that should be your first consideration.

Have a read of the attached, and then make an informed decision.

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/planning-building/planning-guidelines-tools/brisbane-city-plan-2014/...

Ben

Jennie0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks for this update Ben.  Is there still a self-assessment tool? I couldn't find it when I followed your link

Hello,

It all depends on where you live, and how often you would like to let out for Airbnb.
Just because its OK for Jennie as a Home based business, does not mean it is OK for Lisa.

Regardless, if you (or your tenant) wish to run airbnb letting out of your place in Brisbane, you or your tenant would need to classify the place as your "primary place of residence" for the letting to be classed as a Home based business (i.e. that it is someones actual "home").

Home based business does not require a permit from Council so long as it complies with the Acceptable Outcomes (search for table 9.3.10.3 in the city plan (http://eplan.brisbane.qld.gov.au/) and look at the right hand column of the table). It's a good idea to mention to your guests about the noise requirements. If your neighbours are upset that you aren't meeting this you may no longer comply with the right hand column, and therefore need to lodge an application if you can't control the noise & wish to continue Airbnb. If you're in an apartment its always good to check with your BC, and get them to raise issues with you directly if they experience any problems.

If you wish to Airbnb your place without anyone living there on a "primary" basis - this is when it becomes short-term accomodation and an application to Council would be required. This is because the impacts on the local community of having frequent turnover in visitors needs to be assessed.

Again - it all depends on where you are, what type of place you have, and the way in which you want to let out via Airbnb. 

If you still aren't sure - call the Council and they will help you work out whether your Airbnb plans fit within one or the other scenario.

I hope this helps!

Mike59
Level 2
Bulimba, Australia

Had someone from the council walk onto my property today when I was at work, asking my guest all sorts of questions and trying to get in the house. Is this normal? I live and work from my house every day on my computer doing voiceover work. I occasionally have people staying in my house from Air bnb. Do I need to pay $5000 to council to apply for a licence to occasionally have someone stay? I wouldnt make that in a year. It seems really strange.

Mike59
Level 2
Bulimba, Australia

Has anyone ever paid this fee? 

Hi Mike what ended up happening?

I had council leave a card at my unit - twice in 24 hours! - Building mangager says someone has complained to brissie council and must have let them to my unit!! 

I am quite anxious about this as i am in sydney and bought it for work in brissie from time to time - medical and defence...

I am concerned i am going to get some horror spot fine ?
ANy thoughts?
Janine

Yes Mike, please read what happened to me.