Bitcoin payment option?

Debra22
Level 1
Canberra, Australia

Bitcoin payment option?

Is AirBnB planning to offer a Bitcoin payment option anytime soon?

There are pockets of accommodation owners in Bitcoin-active communities in the developing world (including Indonesia) whose lives would be transformed by receiving payments in Bitcoin.

AirBnB bought out Changetip, so hopes are high for a Bitcoin payment option becoming available.

21 Replies 21
Guy11
Level 1
Pevensey, United Kingdom

I as a host would love to accept bitcoins. Bank payments take 5 days to transact which is really annoying. Back in April Airbnb hired some techy bitcoin guys but who knows if this is anything to do with guest/host transcations.

I wonder if there is anyway we could suggest this?

Ilan1
Level 5
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I am also looking forward to payouts in bitcoins. That would be another thrust into becoming a leading avant-garde global business.

PayPal is immediate - you get the email to say payment has been sent and seconds later it's in your Paypal account.

I don't thiink we will see bitcoin or other crypto currencies used until there is a global framework that recognises and treats it in the same way. As you probably know, some countries have no view, some treat it as an asset, some as a currency and others as a weird hybrid. There is little or no consumer protection, let alone regulation nor case law - all of which makes companies nervous about using it for something like AirBnB. That will no doubt change in due course - but Bitcoin may not be the answer.

Thanks for the insight and opinion.

Unfotunately, it is complicated and expensive to convert PayPal credit into bitcoins.

What seems contradictory is that new Internet ventures have no problem in going beyond the boundaries when there are no clear regulations about their new, uncategorized and non-regulated activities (Airbnb, Uber, etc.), but behave conservatively regarding cryptocurrencies.

Josef--Joe-0
Level 1
Woodstock, Canada

I as a host would love the flexibility and opportunity to receive payment in big coin so I may use the system understand the system in the future use it as another financial flexibility and opportunity to receive payment in big coin so I may use the system understand the system in the future use it as another financial tool
Familia1
Level 1
Iquique, Chile

I would like to have bitconis as a way to recieve the payments. I`m a host too and i´m in the bitcurrencies world.

Thank!

I am a host in London UK and I would also value being able to accept Bitcoin payment.

Until airBnB get with-it, it could, like Amazon, M&S and many others, offer gift vouchers which could be sold by a 3rd party Bitcoin seller (e.g. Giftoff). 

Marcio13
Level 1
Fortaleza, Brazil

I also would love to see bitcoin as a way of payment.

Ilan1
Level 5
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Apparently, Airbnb has not realised this option would be so welcome by its community until recently:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/most-airbnb-users-want-bitcoin-payment-integration-in-2017-asked-by-c...

There might be some changes soon.

Anna587
Level 1
Burgundy, France

I am a host in France who would also be delighted to accept bitcoin as a  payment option. 

I really believe this is the future and a company like Airbnb which has been so innovative shoud jump aboard. 

@Anna587 Wikipedia has a useful summary of the positoin of many countries on BitCoin (and other crypto currencies). And the problem is consumer protection (which is pretty much non existent), plus how the coin is treated for taxation purposes.

So, today if you have a problem with fraud on your bank account or credit card, your bank or credit card in most countries is legally required to investigate, and in most cases they pick up the loss (unless you are negligent). There is no similar protection for BitCoin users - so you get zero if there is any problem. I think that is the biggest stumbling block right now to widespread use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_bitcoin_by_country#France

Things seem to be advancing pretty rapidly in the crypto world and with the added protection of various wallets and complex passwords. Amazon for example accepts Bitcoins now. And with Bitpay ! It's kind of getting interesting..!  

I'm new to this but it seems to be totally the way forward..

The person receiving the bitcoin payment might be willing to face the risk.

Airbnb could demand users receiving payments in bitcoins tu sign a disclaimer liberating them from any liability.

Being an innovative and modern company should encompass being avant-garde regarding fintech, too.

Yes we want bitcoin payment option please