Accusations/threats from host

Emily191
Level 1
Elsah, IL

Accusations/threats from host

Hey all-

I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with this before. My boyfriend and I stayed at an airbnb last weekend for 4 nights. The whole experience was weird - the actual host didn't show up until the last night, he offered us weed, the hosting was left up to a girl who slept on the couch and was gone at weird hours, they never locked the place, etc. - but it was a great location and we didn't plan on being around much anyways, so we put up with it. Now, 4 days later, the host is accusing us of stealing his stuff and disturbing his other guest. He keeps saying that he will find out who we are and we will get what's coming to us. Airbnb keeps saying they'll call me back later, but doesn't seem to want to help or even listen to what I have to say. Has anybody else dealt with wild accusations and threats from their host? Did airbnb help or should I involve the police?

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emily191

Sounds like the guy has some drug induced paronia! I hope you have left a review - something brief, but revealing: "A very strange and unsettling experience for guests and not comfortable in any way for our stay."

Not sure the police will do anything at the moment and he will probably give up and move on to his next moment soon - but do let other guests know by leaving a review.

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Emily191 

I am sorry to hear a bad experience like that! 

I would call Airbnb again and again. 

Could you share the listings?

In this thread, you will find how to Contact Airbnb!

If you want to see my listings, here they are:

Diamond Home 1

Diamond Home 2

Diamond Penthouse

[links hidden]

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Emily191, do you have those conversations by phone or on the airbnb message thread, in writing?

What you should do is:

don't take any more phone calls from him.

Write him by airbnb message thread a summary of your experience: 

"Your calls / acusation are disturbing, therefore I'd like to summarize how we lived the experience:

We did not meet you at arrival.

The place was not completely what we expected,  especially concerning the habit to leave the house door unlocked, but pleasant enough.

When you visited, you offered us drugs, which we declined.

We did not steal anything and no reclamation was brought to our attention whilst we were there.

We ask you not to contact us any more and not to make any more threats."

After that, either he stops or he will send you a well felt letter of insults in Writing, by airbnb, which would be best or by sms. (Had that with a guest). 

After that letter of insults, you flag him in the profile, with the little flag icon, in the conversation, if he wrote on airbnb. You can take screenshots from sms messagesand send them to airbnb, when you are in mail contact. 

You write to the person again, that at the next contact, you will go to the police with all the messages.

Airbnb can block a contact between you, but they have no influence over other channels like the phone. 

If a member writes insults, the profile is usually blocked or removed, especially if there are threats.

If there were different guests at the same time, it's possible that things disappeared and he blames it at one of them or all of them. A calm, stern approach should help.

Good luck

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Emily191

@Helga0's advice is spot on and important because Airbnb has insight into the message exchange on the site, and it counts as paper trail.