6 Tips to "jump start" or "spring clean" your listing for more views/bookings!

6 Tips to "jump start" or "spring clean" your listing for more views/bookings!

Hey Community! I'm a rural property host and for all my years hosting I've had to block all winter dates because the road can get too icy and its not safe to travel. So each year I feel like I'm starting anew again when we open up for spring and try to regain some momentum with my listing. I thought I'd share my tips for getting my listing going again and ask if anyone else had their own to share! Listed below! 

Whether you've been date blocked for awhile, unlisted for a bit, haven't been booked in awhile, are a brand new listing, or just needing to give everything a good refresh - this is where I'd recommend starting...

Tips for "Jump Starting" a Listing:

1. Review/edit the entire listing page. 🖋Airbnb has been doing so many updates lately and seem to always be adding new values and different fields/options to consider its always worth at least once I year checking every field on your listing and make sure its accurate and give it a refresh. Every time I've done this I've found at least one more amenity listed I hadn't checked yet or a description that I wanted to reword. I think making these edits gives the listing a bit of a boost on the search (can't confirm that though) or at least makes sure that its perfectly up to date for guests.
  2. Change up the pictures. 🖼 As the example images above, I like to adjust my pictures seasonally so that it attracts the guests traveling that time of year. Misty jungle photos for summer and beautiful colors on the trees for fall. Sometimes I'll add one with the fireplace going as the feature photo as well. Adding a new photo and changing things up a bit gives it a fresh look and again, may give it a search boost (unverified).
  3. Share with your network! 💬 Whether you have a social media account or even just some friends emails, I've found that sharing the link to the listing and getting a spike in page views is a great way to get an instant boost in search placement and visibility. Added bonus to remind them you have the space and I've had a few referral bookings from just one post getting shared!
  4. Reach out to previous guests. 📬 Only for guests that I met personally / had a connection with and might have mentioned wanting to come back. Its amazing how many times just a small note turned into a repeat booking and building an ongoing rapport with a guest resulting in a friendship and multiple years of bookings as well as their friends! It's not meant to be a marketing blast, just a touch base and if nothing else might give you a few more views. 😊 Do this through Airbnb messaging is best!
  5. Consider running a discount. 💰 Depending on your situation, it may be helpful to lower your nightly price for a limited time or run a discount for a select number of days. Whether or how this helps in your visibility depends. I know there is a LOT to say about this and many other community posts about it so I would just recommend you do a search and see if one of those strategies would work for you.
  6. Engage the Community. 💞 Even after catching up on all the notifications, I always browse the latest topics on the Community board here to see what everyone is talking about. I also always try to make at least one post to get feedback from the people who know best (other hosts!) on what is working or not on my listing. There's a dedicated space and tag in "Ask about your listing" just for that. And, while you're at it, be sure to check out other posts and give your feedback to others! (🏡 If you're curious, here's my place! Any/all feedback welcome!: https://airbnb.com/h/amadell-kumbaya 🏡)

Do you have any other tips we can add? Thanks! 

🏡If you're curious, here's my place!: https://airbnb.com/h/amadell-kumbaya 🏡

Summer vs Autumn photos of the same location...

Marina481_1-1709833711273.jpeg

Marina481_0-1709833661569.jpeg 

🏡If you're curious, here's my place!: https://airbnb.com/h/amadell-kumbaya 🏡

4 Replies 4
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Marina481 

I keep adding some special touch which usually schedule in during the slowest month. From bigger things like a mini split heat pump, to smaller things like towel hooks, shelving, house plants, curtains instead of blinds, sometimes these are things that were causing some stress, such as guest breaking blinds so now they have easy to use curtains. Also things like a pressure washer, deck cleaner, and painting so it always looks in perfect condition. There was also a driveway project after the street was resurfaced and the new drive lets water drain off into the marsh and ocean. I agree also about looking over the listing to see if there are any more areas to fill out and add, and updating the house manual. My guest often book way in advance, its wild how far people plan advance! Guest often comment on little things also. A recent one liked the little labels I put all over the place, said they don't like reading the home guide and the labels or easy to read instructions made it easy. I don't know if it's just me but the little things I keep adding really mean a lot. I accidentally broke a potted plant and had to replace it right away as the place seemed off without it. 

@John5097Great ideas! You know when I made this post I was purely thinking about the digital listing and not the property itself 🙃 I feel like that would take 3x as many tips to cover! There's always so much to fix and clean when getting ready to welcome the first guest of the year. Its funny though, the market here I have the opposite booking behavior - almost everything is week-of.

@Marina481 

That makes perfect sense! If you had also included all the maintenance and spring cleaning that would have been a very long post! I usually update some pics after including something like plants or new curtains. It's amazing how much better the place and photos look compared to the first ones. I also got a chuckle out of the (unverified) if new pics got more views. I think if the pics are good they are more enticing to guest and they click on them more which increases engagement. Not trying to man splain. Your pictures of the the exterior are so amazing! That's such a great idea to have different ones of different seasons. It's really incredible how much different summer looks from Fall. We don't have the same dramatic change of leaves in the Fall here on the coast like you would have. I have always loved the mountains. I usually go up around Asheville area as it's pretty close. At first I thought you maybe were in Alaska or something with the icy roads. We used to stay up there in the summers so want to do something in the mountains that also promotes the things I like. We also have a bit of an off season which I like. The Spring Breakers are now just showing up on the beaches while I'm still walking in jeans. It's super crowded in the Summers but still nice to swim. 

Anyway thanks for the really inspiring post and pictures! I also usually book a place up in the mountains around Asheville the week of, as I wait for a guest thats staying 5 days and day people, book a Airbnb and sneak off. I really love the trails up there also.

This is pic of beach the other day. In a few weeks it will be packed with people.

IMG_3296.JPG 

@Marina481 

A few more pics I mentioned. I need to update some of the exterior pics outside, namely the pics after the deck cleaner the drive way and patio looks so much cleaner now than the ones in the listing. 

These look so much better than the ones there now. I was just worried because host can no longer choose the order of photos so was kind of holding off as the photos are so important.

Mine aren't as stunning as yours, but think even updating photos really help.   

IMG_3197.JPGIMG_3192.JPG