Small contributions to care of the planet in Santa Marta Colombia

Johana142
Level 3
Bogotá, Colombia

Small contributions to care of the planet in Santa Marta Colombia

I am very happy to meet this beautiful community and to be able to share with you these great experiences.

I have a small AirBnb in the historic center of Santa Marta, Colombia. A cozy and small apartment but certainly located in one of the most beautiful places in the city.

I would like to share some of my sustainability actions that I carry out in my little AirBnb:

First of all and being aware of the environmental state of the city of Santa Marta where the beaches are very battered 😣, dirty and full of plastic after a holiday weekend I was encouraged to put in my AirBnb this nice initiative called:

- Ecoladrillos: They are a technique of plastic bottles that seeks to conglomerate the plastics of a single use and that have a complexity in its handling and proper management. In the meantime, guests can put there bags and food packages. Of course with a small instruction manual.
IMG_20240124_161151.jpg
- Cloth bags so that guests can do their shopping at the supermarket without having to bring home bags and more bags.
IMG_20240124_161201.jpg

- Local shopping: I provide guests with local coffee and other handicrafts that guests can purchase and in this way support the local economy and the indigenous and peasant communities of the region. 

IMG_20240124_161138.jpg

Basically with these actions I have understood that the guests feel more comfortable and calm, I feel that many connect with this concern about solid waste and in this way contribute with a small positive footprint to the care of nature.

I hope it can be useful for next hosts.

Best regards 
3 Replies 3
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Johana142 welcome to our community! It is great to have you here 💚

Thank you immensely for contributing to keeping Santa Marta the wonderful place it is 🏖☀️. Do you have any tips for reducing air conditioning usage?

I would also like to invite you to share this valuable content in our Spanish-speaking community. I'll send you a DM soon with more details.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi Paula, 

Nice to meet you. 

Yes, just these last two months I have been doing a lot of research on the subject.
Before giving you some small solutions that I have achieved, I comment that in addition to the consumption of air conditioning and its environmental impact, in our city we have a problem of over cost of energy, each Kw / h of consumption has a value of 1.300 pesos COP, this is equivalent to 0,33 US. This has become a big problem.

Besides having the air conditioners with the most efficient technology (INVERTER) that is known in my country. For this I have adopted the following strategies:
- Install a motion sensor to the air conditioners (they turn off when no one is there after 15 minutes).
- Install a temperature sensor and remote control that I have programmed so that the air turns off after reaching an ideal temperature (and not waiting for the lowest temperature).
- I have a vertical fan there that I advise the guests to use from the direction of the air to where they are, so that the thermal sensation is more appropriate and they feel cooler (which I hope will help them not to use it all the time).

It'll be nice if someone have another ideas, I need it. Day by day is more complicated to drive in my city. 

And yes, it will be nice. 

Thanks a lot, and best regards

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Johana142, thank you so much for this.

I noticed you've started a new conversation about this in our Spanish Community Center, and I'm sure we will receive very constructive suggestions.

See you there 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad