My journey from being a guest to becoming a Superhost

Dandara3
Host Advisory Board Member
Maceió, Brazil

My journey from being a guest to becoming a Superhost

Me (on the right) with my mother CarmemMe (on the right) with my mother Carmem

I'm from Maceió and have always used Airbnb during my travels as a guest. Every time I got back home, I shared my experience with my mother and told her how warmly I was welcomed by the Hosts. Hearing my stories, my mother, Carmem, began to want to welcome travelers into our home and also decided to share my brother's room, who had moved out and left the space unoccupied.

It wasn't long before I became even more interested in the platform and became the Maceió Hosts' club leader. I am a psychologist by training and used to work in personnel management. But today, just like my mother, I live entirely on the income generated by the bookings of our accommodation on the platform. Airbnb has brought a greater purpose to my life. Being a Host and a Community Leader makes me feel like a greater part of my city and my community.

By making the rooms in my mother's apartment available on Airbnb, taking care of managing the listing on the platform and my mother welcoming the guests, we became closer, not only as a family, but as real partners in this new venture. The rooms we share are listed as “Instant Book,” so we're always on the lookout for bookings, which can come at any time. “I just need 15 minutes to get the bed ready,” says my mom jokingly at times.

Today, I live with my family – my husband, our Border Collie named Maya and many fish – in another apartment not far from my mom's. That's why we also share my old room on the platform.

Every time a guest leaves the apartment, my mother stands at the window to make sure they leave safely. And when they finally get in the car, she calls me to say that everything went well. Since the apartment first became available on Airbnb, it has undergone some renovations and improvements - often at the request or suggestion of the guests themselves. We believe that this has made the space even more comfortable and cozy, and the interaction more pleasant and hospitable.

However, regardless of the improvements, the tranquility of the place and the location, I believe that the best thing about staying there is sharing the space with my mother. In my opinion, she takes care of the guests with great affection, as if they were her children.
6 Replies 6

This is great @Dandara3. I love how much your mother cares about the guests!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Dandara3 thank you for sharing your mother's story with sharing her home with Airbnb guests. As I read this I  feel that your mum is enjoying the company of travellers and is meeting new people without leaving her home.

Dandara3
Maceió, Brazil

Thank you @Mason89 and @Laurelle3 ❤️

I absolutely adore our apartment, and without a doubt, my mother elevates the entire accommodation to extraordinary heights.

While I strive to provide our guests with unparalleled attention and care through the platform, it's my mother who brings that extra touch of maternal warmth and magic.

Her presence not only enhances the experience but also adds an unparalleled level of beauty and comfort that guests can't help but notice and appreciate. ❤️

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

@Dandara3 Thank you for sharing your story, it was touched and inspiring to me , I also appreciate Airbnb makes the attitude of “ impossible “ to “ I M POSSIBLE “ . I am sure your mother enjoys hosting as well as we do . 

Sarah
Dandara3
Maceió, Brazil

Thank you, Sarah! The  “I M possible” pun was fantastic. 👏👏👏

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

@Sarah5000 

Sarah