Host from Detroit

Host from Detroit

Hey everyone! I’ve been hosting for about 4 months now and things are going great. Wanted to start a conversation for hosts in Detroit to share advice, tips, etc. I’ve found family dollar and the dollar store a cool budget friendly store to stock your airbnb. Also I love to cook and I think adding a chef service would be cool 😎 

[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

9 Replies 9
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Charlese0 !! Welcome to the Community Center and it is so great to see you here!

Thank you for sharing some tips you follow with other Hosts. It would be surely helpful.

How has your Hosting experience been in the course of 4 months? I noticed your guests have left you some amazing reviews and seems like they are already rooting for you after their stay at your listing. Would you like to share more about your learnings and experiences with us?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello Bhumika, and thank you so much for the warm welcome. Some things I learned when it comes to hosting is communicating as fast as possible, upgrade your amenities when can, and the cleanliness of your home. When I travel and stay at another host home, I pay attention to the things they include in their home from iron board, hair dryer, playing cards, and more. 

Having multiple bed sets and towels help when it comes to switching from guest to guest and makes the cleaning process take less time. 

Also a perk that guest love is the fire stick we have on each television. Netflix and pay per view channels installed as well. 

More than normal will guest forget toothpaste, shower cap, or even soap. I save tons of money shopping at family dollar or Dollar tree for all the things I can think they will need or forget. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This is amazing @Charlese0! I love how you mention learning from your own experiences and staying as a guest. Such experiences can be so valuable!!

Seems like you are covering all the essential amenities required for a happy and comfortable stay for the guests.

Wishing you continued success and great reviews from guests😍🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Colleen560
Level 2
Kelowna, Canada

@Charlese0 If you love cooking, I say go for it.  It could really set you apart.  There is a listing in my area that has 5 stars and hundreds of reviews.  They  offer breakfast for an extra fee and  sooo many people comment in their reviews about how much they enjoyed the meal.  (They also get a ton of reviews commenting on their dog.) 

Patricia4316
Level 2
Detroit, MI

Hello, I just started hosting this month!  I have shopped @ Family Dollar for decorative items to stock my Airbnb!

So far I have had 2 bookings!  Hosting one now!

The Chef Service sounds great!  It would be difficult for me to achieve, as I travel whenever I host.

I would love to share ideas, comments, questions.

Patricia

Yes family dollar and dollar tree have so many affordable things to add to your home without breaking the bank lol. I also have a membership with Sam’s club so when I can I stick up on tissue, paper towels, and etc. welcome to the community also! 😊

Angelo807
Level 2
Highland Park, MI

i to have been hosting for four months in the detroit area im looking to add the Airbnb experience to my hosting, with me being a private Chef and my son is Also a Chef. do u know anyone that has done that

That’s awesome @Angelo807 ! And you know what I thought about doing that but I got another job and too busy to do it how I want but I think you and your son should go for it! The stories I’ve heard from other hosts in different states are making a killing and have great reviews. Most guest will let you know the reason of their booking like “birthday”. That’s the perfect opportunity to offer a private chef experience or just have it laid out in your description. Hope that helps 😊

Also I don’t hear too many hosts providing a chef experience so you would stand out as well 😊